GEORGIA STATE (0-1) at 5/5 PENN STATE (2-0)
Saturday, Sept. 16, 7:30 p.m., Big Ten Network
Beaver Stadium, University Park, Pa.
THE KICKOFF: Coming off an open date, Georgia State (0-1) travels to No. 5 Penn State (2-0) for a Saturday night contest that will be televised on the Big Ten Network. The Nittany Lions moved up to No. 5 in the poll after their 33-14 victory over Pittsburgh.
TV: Big Ten Network. Announcers are Brandon Gaudin, Glen Mason and Elise Menaker.RADIO: Georgia State Radio Network, including Atlanta flagship 1340 AM/103.7 FM. Dave Cohen is in his 35th season as the play-by-play voice of Panther athletics. Brandon Leak and Harper LeBel join him from the booth with Sam Crenshaw on the sideline. Free audio stream on GeorgiaStateSports.com and GSU mobile app.
Georgia State: 0-1 Overall, 0-0 Sun Belt
Penn State: 2-0, 0-0 Big Ten
SERIES: First meeting
Georgia State: Shawn Elliott
Record at GSU: 0-1 (1st year) / Career Record: 1-6 (2nd year)
Penn State: James Franklin
Record at PSU: 27-15 (3rd year) / Career Record: 51-30 (6th year)
NOTING THE PANTHERS
* Georgia State and Penn State are meeting for the first time.
* At No. 5, Penn State will be the second-highest ranked team that Georgia State has faced and the highest since the Panthers’ 2013 game at No. 1 Alabama.
* This will be the Panthers’ ninth game against an opponent from a Power Five conference in eight seasons of football.
* Georgia State is facing a Big Ten Conference for the second straight year, following Wisconsin last season.
* Four of GSU’s previous eight Power Five opponents have been ranked: Alabama, 2010 (10/12), Alabama 2013 (1/1), Oregon, 2015 (12/13) and Wisconsin, 2016 (9/12), while Washington and Clemson in 2014 were just outside the Top 25.
* Georgia State has never beaten a Power Five team, but the Panthers had a close call last season at No. 9 Wisconsin. Kyler Neal’s 9-yard touchdown run gave GSU a 17-13 lead with 11:36 to play before the Badgers scored the final 10 points to win 23-17.
* Georgia State has one Pennsylvanian on its roster. True freshman offensive lineman Pat Bartlett, who earned a starting berth at right guard, is from Newtown, Pa., and Council Rock North High School.
* Beginning with the Penn State contest, Georgia State plays four of its next five games on the road.
* QB Conner Manning completed 14 of 17 passes in the season opener vs. Tennessee State to set a school record for completion percentage in a game.
* With his next tackle behind the line of scrimmage, DE Mackendy Cheridor will break the GSU career record. He enters this game with 22 TFL, tied with Joseph Peterson (2012-15) for the record.
* Georgia State’s game at Penn State will be the Panthers’ first contest played on natural grass since 2015. Now in its eighth season of football, GSU has played on grass just seven times: Alabama, 2010; Houston, 2011; Tennessee, 2012; Rhode Island, 2012; Alabama, 2013; Clemson, 2014; Georgia Southern, 2015.