ATLANTA- Georgia State women’s tennis swept a Saturday doubleheader with wins over Emory and Coastal Carolina. The Panthers defeated Emory 6-3 in the early match and Coastal in afternoon play. The wins evened GSU’s record up at 3-3 on the season.
The first half of the doubleheader saw GSU face off against Emory. As Emory was the home team, the match was played under Division III rules. Each doubles match was an eight-game pro set and counted for one point in the match. After doubles play GSU found themselves down 2-1, despite a win from number three doubles, Daniela Ramirez and Anastasia Grosheva.
The Panthers turned things around in the singles portion of the match. Each of GSU’s top four singles players won in straight sets to clinch a victory. Arina Taluyenko only surrendered one game in two sets for a 6-0, 6-1 win. Kristin Rehse, Daniela Ramirez, Damira Muminović, and Anastasia Grosheva also produced wins.
"I thought we came out flat in the doubles match against Emory", said coach Jason Marshall. "But we were able to put that behind us and come out strong in the singles portion of the match. Each of our top four won their first set quickly, and that was big for our momentum".
In match number two GSU got out to a hot start as the pairs of Rehse/Muminović and Danailova/Taluyenko earned victories in the one and two flights.
Georgia State carried that momentum into the singles portion of the match as Rehse and Taluyenko both earned straight set wins. Ramirez would clinch the match with a 6-0 third set win to give the Panthers the victory.
"We had great energy in the second match", said Marshall. "We were warmed up and used to the courts, and it showed in how we played the doubles point. Singles had ups and downs, but we showed a great mental toughness to prevail in the way we did."
The Panthers are going out west next weekend for a pair of matches in Birmingham before heading to Starkville. GSU will take on UAB and Samford in a doubleheader on Friday, and battle Mississippi State on Sunday afternoon.
Results: GSU vs. Emory
- Kristin Rehse (GSU) def. Bridget Harding (EM) 6-1, 6-1
- Daniela Ramirez (GSU) def. Ysbel Gonzalez-Rico (EM) 7-6, 6-1
- Arina Taluyenko (GSU) def. Daniela Lopez (EM) 6-0, 6-1
- Damira Muminović (GSU) def. Stephanie Taylor (EM) 6-0, 7-5
- Anastasia Grosheva (GSU) def. Defne Oclay (EM) 6-1, 6-2
- Emma Perelman (EM) def. Ilona Golynker (GSU) 6-3, 6-1
- Gonzalez-Rico/Harding (EM) def. Rehse/Danailova (GSU) 8-5
- Taylor/Fuhr (EM) def. Taluyenko/Muminović (GSU) 8-5
- Grosheva/Ramirez (GSU) def. Oclay/Lopez (EM) 8-4
GSU vs. Coastal Carolina:
- Iryna Vardanian (CCU) def. Elizabet Danailova (GSU) 7-6, 6-7, 10-6 (4)
- Kristin Rehse (GSU) def. Rylie Cox 6-2, 6-1(CCU) (1)
- Daniela Ramirez (GSU) Somer Dalla-Bona (CCU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-0 (3)
- Arina Taluyenko (GSU) def. Sara Bonder (CCU) 6-1, 7-5 (2)
- Damira Muminović (GSU) def. Natalie Wall (CCU) 2-6, 6-1, 10-7 (5)
- Anastasia Grosheva (GSU) Maria Khomchenko (CCU) 6-2, 2-6, 12-10
- Rehse/Muminovic (GSU) def. Dalla-Bona/Bonder (CCU) 6-4
- Danailova/Taluyenko (GSU) def. Mount/Wall (CCU) 6-2
- Cox/Khomchenko (CCU) def. Grosheva/Ramirez (GSU) 6-3