What you need to know:
* The Panthers fell 4-0 in their home opener Sunday afternoon to Louisville.
* The team is 4-6 following the loss.
* GSU will return to the court next weekend in Jacksonville, Fla. to face Charlotte and North Florida.
ATLANTA- In the first home match of the season, the Georgia State men’s tennis team fell 4-0 to Louisville.
With the loss, the Panthers fell to 4-6 and the Cardinals improved to 6-3.
GSU put up a fight in doubles play but fell in the tiebreaker of the second set. Andrei Andrukhou and Quentin Coulaud fell 6-3 at the No. 1 position before Sebastian Acuna and Andrei Duarte fell 7-6 (10-12) for the Cardinals to clinch the doubles point.
At the No. 3 position in singles play, Coualud fell 6-3, 6-2 to Parker Wynn and Louisville went up 2-0. Giles Hussey fought back in the second set to attempt the split, but ultimately fell 6-0, 7-5 to Federico Gomez. The Cardinals clinched the match at the No. 1 position, when Andrukhou fell 7-5, 6-4.
“It's not the result that we wanted after a tough weekend, but we will make the necessary adjustments to play the pressure points better,” head coach Jonathan Wolff said. “Hats off to both Clemson and Louisville for challenging the guys and making it tough for us every single point. Knowing that we can certainly compete at that level gives us confidence moving forward into the season. The team is motivated to get back to practice after a much needed day off to prepare for our next road test in Jacksonville, Fla.”
The Panthers will return to the court next weekend, facing North Florida and Charlotte in Jacksonville, Fla.
1. C. Morin-Kougoucheff (LOU-MT) def. Andrei Andrukhou (GSU) 7-5, 6-4
2. Sebastian Acuna (GSU) vs. Nicolas Rouanet (LOU-MT) 3-6, 3-3, unfinished
3. Parker Wynn (LOU-MT) def. Quentin Coulaud (GSU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Federico Gomez (LOU-MT) def. Giles Hussey (GSU) 6-0, 7-5
5. Jack MacFarlane (GSU) vs. Brandon Lancaster (LOU-MT) 7-5, 3-5, unfinished
6. Kevin Huynh (GSU) vs. Ciro Lampasas (LOU-MT) 2-6, 6-3, 2-0, unfinished
1. C. Morin-Kougoucheff/Parker Wynn (LOU-MT) def. Andrei Andrukhou/Quentin Coulaud (GSU) 6-3
2. Federico Gomez/Brandon Lancaster (LOU-MT) def. Sebastian Acuna/Andrei Duarte (GSU) 7-6 (10-12)
3. Giles Hussey/Kevin Huynh (GSU) vs. George Hedley/Nicolas Rouanet (LOU-MT) 6-6 (5-2), unfinished