What you need to know
*Georgia State fell 4-0 to Kentucky in the first round of the NCAA Winston-Salem Regional Friday afternoon.
*The Panthers ended their season with a 19-7 overall record.
*The.team will return three starters and eight student-athletes in the fall.
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C.- The No. 40 Georgia State men's tennis team fell 4-0 to No. 32 Kentucky in the first round of the NCAA Tournament Friday afternoon.
With the loss, the Panthers end their season with a 19-7 record. The Wildcats improved to 15-12 and will continue play in the second round of the tournament.
GSU went up a set in doubles play, as Felipe Jaworski and Quentin Coulaud defeated Trey Yates and Gus Benson 6-3. The Wildcats defeated Sebastian Acuna and Jack MacFarlane in the No. 2 match to tie doubles play, before Zackery Kennedy and Andrei Andrukhou fell 7-6 and Kentucky clinched the doubles point.
Kennedy was the first Panther to fall in singles play, as No. 17 Will Bushamuka earned a 6-1, 6-0 victory. Kentucky went up 3-0 with a win in the No. 3 match, with Jannis Koeke falling 6-1, 6-4. The Wildcats clinched the win at the No. 4 match, as Coulaud was defeated 6-4, 6-2.
The Panthers will return three starters and eight student-athletes to the court next year.
1. #17 Will Bushamuka (UK) def. #95 Zackery Kennedy (GSU) 6-1, 6-0
2. #66 Ryotaro Matsumura (UK) vs. Andrei Andrukhou (GSU) 4-6, 2-2, unfinished
3. Beck Pennington (UK) def. Jannis Koeke (GSU) 6-1, 6-4
4. Nils Ellefsen (UK) def. Quentin Coulaud (GSU) 6-4, 6-2
5. #106 Trey Yates (UK) vs. Sebastian Acuna (GSU) 6-4, 4-1, unfinished
6. Enzo Wallart (UK) vs. Felipe Jaworski (GSU) 6-3, 3-3, unfinished
1. #33 Enzo Wallart/Beck Pennington (UK) def. Zackery Kennedy/Andrei Andrukhou (GSU) 7-6 (7-5)
2. Will Bushamuka/Nils Ellefsen (UK) def. Sebastian Acuna/Jack MacFarlane (GSU) 6-4
3. Felipe Jaworski/Quentin Coulaud (GSU) def. Trey Yates/Gus Benson (UK) 6-3