What You Need to Know:
* Georgia State earned a 68-50 win over Eastern Washington in the MGM Grand Main Event at T-Mobile Arena on Monday.
* Junior Devin Mitchell led the Panthers with 23 points, knocking down 7-of-8 from 3-point range.
* Head coach Ron Hunter earned the 400th win of his career. He is the all-time wins
LAS VEGAS-Led by 23 points from Devin Mitchell and 19 from D’Marcus Simonds, Georgia State cruised to a 68-50 win over Eastern Washington on Monday afternoon in the MGM Grand Main Event at T-Mobile Arena.
Mitchell went 8-of-10 from the floor, including 7-of-8 from 3-point range en route to a career-high. Simonds scored 15 of his points in the first half to pace the Panthers.
Head coach Ron Hunter, already Georgia State’s all-time wins leader, earned the 400th win of his career. He is one of just seven NCAA Division I coaches to be the all-time wins leader at multiple schools.
Georgia State (3-1) will now play Prairie View A&M (1-3) on Wednesday at 4:30 p.m. ET in the championship game of the Middleweight Bracket. Eastern Washington (2-3) will play face Eastern Kentucky in the consolation game earlier in the day.
Georgia State 46.3 percent from the floor and 10-of-15 from 3-point range, while forcing the Eagles into 21 turnovers which led to 23 points.
“Credit to our guys as they played outstanding defense today,” Hunter said. “They really got after them and when you can force 21 turnovers, you are going to win a lot of games.
“Devin Mitchell is really starting to come into his own. He played smart basketball today, took some great shots and led us offensively.”
After Eastern Washington scored the first five points of the game, Georgia State responded with six-straight points to take an early 6-5 lead as both
Trailing 12-7, Simonds responded for Georgia State by making four-straight baskets to give the Panthers a 15-12 lead with 6:10 to play in the opening half.
A 3-pointer by Mitchell gave the Panthers their biggest lead of the first half, 27-18, before going into the locker room with a 31-23 lead following a dunk by Simonds with 0.1 seconds remaining.
Georgia State opened the second half on a 9-0 run to push the lead to 40-23 with 16:55 to play and never looked back, leading by as many as 29 with just under six minutes to play.
Jacob Davison led Eastern Washington with 20 points but was the only Eagle to score in double figures.
- The Panthers have now started 3-1 for the second time in three years.
- Since the start of the 2013-14 season, the Panthers have won 89 games, the most of any NCAA Division 1 program in the state of Georgia.
- Georgia State is now 2-1 in the MGM Grand Main Event this year.
- The Panthers won the Mayan Division of the Cancun Challenge last season and will be looking for a tournament title for the second-straight year.
Wednesday’s contest can be heard live on 1340 The Fan 3/103.7 FM with Dave Cohen, now in his 35th year as the Voice of the Panthers, being joined by 680 The Fan’s Brandon Leak. The game will also air live on FloHoops.TV. Live statistics and live audio will be available at GeorgiaStateSports.com and on most mobile devices.