What you need to know:
* The Panthers concluded March home play with a 5-2 win over ETSU.
* Junior Jack MacFarlane clinched the match for GSU, his first of the season.
* With the win, the team improved to 8-7.
ATLANTA- The No. 45 Georgia State men’s tennis team defeated ETSU 5-2 Sunday afternoon in the team’s final March home match. Junior Jack MacFarlane clinched the match for GSU in his first clinch of the season.
With the win, the Panthers improved to 8-7 on the season and the Buccaneers fell to 6-5.
GSU earned the doubles point in the bottom two positions, clinching the point for the third straight match. Kevin Huynh and Quentin Coulaud defeated Miguel Este and Fraizer Rengifo before Giles Hussey and MacFarlane picked up the point with a 7-6(5) win over Robert Herrera and Sergi Fontcuberta.
The Panthers quickly went ahead 2-0 as Hussey earned a 6-1, 6-3 victory over Juan Lugo. ETSU came within one of GSU, as Huynh fell to Rengifo 6-1, 6-3. At the top position, Andrei Andrukhou earned a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Herrera to put the score at 3-1.
The Buccaneers earned their final point at the No. 5 position when David Gonzalez defeated Bailey Showers 1-6, 6-0, 6-2. MacFarlane clinched the match with a 6-4, 7-5 win over Tasei Miyamoto and Coulaud put the match away with a 2-6, 6-4, 6-4 victory over Fontcuberta at the No. 2 position.
“After a close one against Georgia Tech last night, we couldn’t have responded any better today against an always feisty ETSU team,” head coach Jonathan Wolff. “As a team, we do a great job of learning quickly from tough losses and making the necessary adjustments in the very next match. I’m especially proud of Jack who has been playing great in doubles as of late and goth the clinch in both doubles and his first one in singles this season. Our focus now turns towards Penn State and FAU over Spring Break down in Florida. We’re excited to get down there and compete in more great matches.”
The team will return to the court next weekend, facing Penn State and FAU in Boca Raton, Fla.
Follow along with Georgia State on Twitter (@GSUMTennis) for the latest news and updates.
1. Andrei Andrukhou (GSU) def. Robert Herrera (ETSU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Quentin Coulaud (GSU) def. Sergi Fontcuberta (ETSU) 2-6, 6-4, 6-4
3. Giles Hussey (GSU) def. Juan Lugo (ETSU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Frazier Rengifo (ETSU) def. Kevin Huynh (GSU) 6-2, 6-4
5. David Gonzalez (ETSU) def. Bailey Showers (GSU) 6-1, 6-0, 6-2
6. Jack MacFarlane (GSU) def. Tasei Miyamoto (ETSU) 6-4, 7-5
1. Andrei Andrukhou/Andrei Duarte (GSU) vs. Juan Lugo/Tasei Miyamoto (ETSU) 6-6, unfinished
2. Giles Hussey/Jack MacFarlane (GSU) def. Robert Herrera/Sergi Fontcuberta (ETSU) 7-6 (7-5)
3. Kevin Huynh/Quentin Coulaud (GSU) def. Miguel Este/Frazier Rengifo (ETSU) 6-2