What you need to know:
* The Panthers closed out their home slate with a 4-1 victory over UNCW Sunday morning.
* Seniors Sebastian Acuna and Andrei Andrukhou were recognized prior to the match.
* Andrukhou clinched the match for GSU, his third of the season.
ATLANTA- The Georgia State men’s tennis team defeated UNCW 4-1 Sunday morning on senior day, with Sebastian Acuna and Andrei Andrukhou being recognized before the match. Andrukhou clinched the match for GSU, his third of the season.
With the win, the Panthers improved to 12-9 while the Seahawks fell to 15-4.
GSU opened doubles play by splitting the first two sets, clinching the point at the No. 2 position. Andrukhou and Bailey Showers earned a 6-2 win while Andrei Duarte and Sebastion Acuna fell 6-4 at the No. 1 position. Giles Hussey and Jack MacFarlane clinched the point for the second match in a row, defeating Michael Morphy and Andres Torres 7-6 (3) in the tiebreaker.
The Panthers quickly went up 2-0 in singles play, with Hussey earning a 6-4, 6-2 win over Michael Copeland at the No. 4 position. Quentin Coulaud fell 6-1, 6-3 at the No. 3 position as UNCW earned its only point of the match. Showers put Georgia State within one of the clinch with a 6-0, 7-5 victory on court 5, with Andrukhou clinching the match 6-4, 3-6, 6-0 at the No. 1 position.
“Today was a great match and overall great day to have senior day,” head coach Jonathan Wolff said. “I couldn’t be more proud of the way our seniors stepped up not only today but throughout the whole year. We knew it was going to be a tough doubles point and crucial in giving us momentum going into singles. Jack and Giles really played well down the stretch to secure the doubles point. Singles was a battle from the start but we did a good job responding to their high energy. They made us earn every point today as we expected from a well coached and tenacious team. Our focus now turns to a tough road test at Middle Tennesse, who has been having a great season so far.”
The Panthers will close out the regular season at Middle Tennessee next Saturday, with the Sun Belt Conference Tournament to be held in Peachtree City, Ga. beginning April 20.
Follow along with Georgia State on Twitter (@GSUMTennis) for the latest news and updates.
1. Andrei Andrukhou (GSU) def. Andres Torres (UNCWM) 6-4, 3-6, 6-0
2. Sebastian Acuna (GSU) vs. Ignasi de Rueda (UNCWM) 2-6, 6-3, 1-2, unfinished
3. Agustin Savarino (UNCWM) def. Quentin Coulaud (GSU) 6-1, 6-3
4. Giles Hussey (GSU) def. Michael Copeland (UNCWM) 6-4, 6-2
5. Bailey Showers (GSU) def. Michael Morphy (UNCWM) 6-0, 7-5
6. Jack MacFarlane (GSU) vs. Daniel Groom (UNCWM) 0-4, unfinished
1. Ignasi de Rueda/Raphael Calzi (UNCWM) def. Andrei Duarte/Sebastian Acuna (GSU) 6-4
2. Giles Hussey/Jack MacFarlane (GSU) def. Michael Morphy/Andres Torres (UNCWM) 7-6 (3-0)
3. Andrei Andrukhou/Bailey Showers (GSU) def. Agustin Savarino/Michael Copeland (UNCWM) 6-2