ATLANTA--The Georgia State women's tennis team earned a 7-0 victory to deal Samford its first loss of the season on Tuesday at the Sharon Lester Tennis Center.
The Panthers (6-4) put on a dominating performance as they did not drop a set on the way to the 7-0 win. GSU swept doubles play for the third time this season to kick off the match and carried the momentum into singles play.
The win was fifth-year head coach Miha Lisac's 50th of his career. The Panthers have now won four-straight matches against Samford (8-1).
Sophomore Maryna Kozachenko clinched the GSU victory with a 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 4 singles against Rebecca Kirven. Sophomore Abigail Tere-Apisah improved her record to 10-0 this season with an efficient 6-1, 6-0, victory at No. 1 singles over Samford's Kristin Lewis. Tere-Apisah also defeated Lewis, who was 7-1 in singles heading into Tuesday's match, in the fall by a 6-4, 6-3 margin.
Freshman Chaimaa Roudami followed Tere-Apisah's win with a 6-1, 6-1, triumph at No.6 singles over Samford's Jessica Diamond. Senior Tereza Lerova followed Kozachenko's match clincher with a 6-4, 6-0, win at No. 2 singles vs. Madelie Janse Van Rensburg. The win was Lerova's 20th singles victory of her career.
Freshman Masa Grgan closed the match with a 6-2, 6-2 win at No. 5 singles over the Bulldogs Lindsey Mallory.
Tere-Apisah and Lerova made quick work of their match at No. 1 doubles, taking a 8-3 victory against Lewis and Lindsey Mallory in just more than 45 minutes. It was the first time the two played together this season.
Grgan and junior Martina Ondrackova followed with a 8-4 win at No. 3 doubles over Emily Mallory and Stephanie N'tcha. The win was Ondrackova's 20th doubles victory of her career.
Byrd and Kozachenko battled back from a 4-3 deficit to take five of the next six games on the way to a 8-5 win at No. 2 doubles. The duo, also playing together for the first time this season, defeated Samford's Janse Van Rensburg and Kirven.
Georgia State remains at home for a doubleheader on Friday. The Panthers take on local rival Mercer at 10 a.m. before playing Jacksonville State at 3 p.m. Visit the women's tennis page later this week for a preview of Friday's doubleheader.
1. Abigail Tere-Apisah (GSU) def. Kristin Lewis (SAM) 6-1, 6-0
2. Tereza Lerova (GSU) def. M.Janse Van Rensburg (SAM) 6-4, 6-0
3. Whitney Byrd (GSU) def. Stephanie N'tcha (SAM) 6-2, 6-4
4. Maryna Kozachenko (GSU) def. Rebecca Kirven (SAM) 6-2, 6-4
5. Masa Grgan (GSU) def. Lindsey Mallory (SAM) 6-2, 6-2
6. Chaimaa Roudami (GSU) def. Jessica Diamond (SAM) 6-1, 6-1
1. Abigail Tere-Apisah/Tereza Lerova (GSU) def. Kristin Lewis/Lindsey Mallory (SAM) 8-3
2. Whitney Byrd/Maryna Kozachenko (GSU) def. M.Janse Van Rensburg/Rebecca Kirven (SAM) 8-4
3. Masa Grgan/Martina Ondrackova (GSU) def. Emily Mallory/Stephanie N'tcha (SAM) 8-4