ATLANTA--The No. 70-ranked Georgia State women's tennis team earned its third sweep at the Sharon Lester Tennis Center this season with a 7-0 victory vs. Kennesaw State on Wednesday.
Sophomore Maryna Kozachenko starred on the day by not dropping a game in doubles and singles play. She clinched the win for the Panthers (8-5) with a 6-0, 6-0 victory at the No. 4 singles spot vs. freshman Jana Hueckinghaus. She also paired with junior Whitney Byrd to take an 8-0 victory at No. 2 doubles vs. KSU (6-6) junior Therese Lagerkvist and senior Vera Shkundina.
The Panthers got off to a fast start by sweeping doubles play. Junior Martina Ondrackova clinched the doubles point for GSU with two aces in the final game, including one on match point, to finish off the No. 3 doubles match. Ondrackova and freshman Chaimaa Roudami won 8-3 vs. Hueckinghaus and freshman Tamara Plocher.
"I think the girls came out with a lot of energy, which is very important," fifth-year head coach Miha Lisac said, "They also played aggressively throughout doubles, not just in the beginning like we did against South Carolina."
Roudami rallied from being down 3-0 in her second set to take a 6-2, 6-4 win at No. 5 singles vs. junior Therese Lagerkvist. It was the Casablanca, Morocco, native's 10th victory of the season and her fourth straight.
Tere-Apisah preceded Kozachenko's clinching victory with a 6-3, 6-3 win vs. Shkundina at the No. 1 spot. Tere-Apisah, the No. 34-ranked player in the ITA Women's Singles rankings, earned her 12th win of the season.
Lerova defeated sophomore Alexandra Apostu 6-3, 6-3 at No. 2 singles. Apostu entered Wednesday's match with a 10-1 singles record.
Georgia State travels to Richmond, Va., next Friday for a Colonial Athletic Association showdown with VCU at 2 p.m. It will be GSU's third conference match this season and the final one before the CAA Championships begin in late April.
Visit the women's tennis page on www.GeorgiaStateSports.com next week for a preview of next Friday's important conference match.
1. #34 Abigail Tere-Apisah (GSU) def. Vera Shkundina (KSU) 6-3, 6-3
2. Tereza Lerova (GSU) def. Alexandra Apostu (KSU) 6-3, 6-3
3. Whitney Byrd (GSU) def. Virginie Stein (KSU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Maryna Kozachenko (GSU) def. Jana Hueckinghaus (KSU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Chaimaa Roudami (GSU) def. Therese Lagerkvist (KSU) 6-2, 6-4
6. Martina Ondrackova (GSU) def. Tamara Plocher (KSU), by forfeit
1. Tereza Lerova/Abigail Tere-Apisah (GSU) def. Alexandra Apostu/Virginie Stein (KSU) 8-4
2. Whitney Byrd/Maryna Kozachenko (GSU) def. Therese Lagerkvist/Vera Shkundina (KSU) 8-0
3. Martina Ondrackova/Chaimaa Roudami (GSU) def. Jana Hueckinghaus/Tamara Plocher (KSU) 8-3