No. 63 Men's Tennis Breezes by Tennessee Tech, 6-1
Peachtree City, Ga.--The No. 63-ranked Georgia State men's tennis team swept doubles play and took five of six singles matches in a dominating 6-1 victory against Tennessee Tech at the Peachtree City Tennis Center on Monday morning.
Georgia State junior Robert Schulze clinched the victory for Georgia State with a 6-3, 6-3 victory at No. 5 singles against Tennessee Tech's (0-4) Alvaro Augusto. It capped a dominating day for the Panthers in singles play as GSU prevailed in five of six singles matches.
The Panthers (2-0) swept doubles play for the first time this season led by an impressive 8-0 victory for Schulze and sophomore Sofiane Chevallier at No. 2 doubles against Vasily Eremeev and Artem Tarasov. Junior Thomas Cook and freshman Paul Schuette clinched the doubles point with an 8-3 victory at No. 3 doubles.
"Today was a good step forward for our program, I felt we played very aggressive on all courts," first-year head coach Joerg Barthel said. "I'm pretty excited we swept doubles and we were able to dictate play when we had to. I've seen improvement from the last match and feel confident about the next couple of weeks."
Chevallier began singles play by taking a 6-1, 4-1 victory by retirement before senior Lucas Santa Ana notched a 6-3, 6-2, win at No. 3 singles. Schulze's match-clinching victory came next before freshman Paul Schuette earned his first collegiate victory at No. 4 singles, a 6-4, 7-6 (7-5) triumph over Eremeev.
The Panthers next travel to the ITA Kick-Off Weekend for the first time in program history next weekend. GSU is slated to take on No.56 Arkansas and either No. 1 Virginia or No. 64 North Florida in Charlottesville, Va., on Saturday and Sunday.
"We're looking forward to playing Arkansas, they are a good SEC team that is well coached and always has strong doubles," Barthel said, "We are excited to play at the ITA Kick-Off Weekend event in Charlottesville and we will be ready for the challenge."
Visit the men's tennis page later this week for a preview of the event in Charlottesville, Va.
#63 Georgia State 6, Tennessee Tech 1
1. Syrym Abdukhalikov (TTU) def. #54 Victor Valente (GSU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Thomas Cook (GSU) def. Alejandro Augusto (TTU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
3. Lucas Santa Ana (GSU) def. Artem Tarasov (TTU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Paul Schuette (GSU) def. Vasily Eremeev (TTU) 6-4, 7-6 (7-5)
5. Robert Schulze (GSU) def. Alvaro Augusto (TTU) 6-3, 6-3
6. Sofiane Chevallier (GSU) def. Othon Lima (TTU) 6-1, 4-1, retired
1. Victor Valente/Lucas Santa Ana (GSU) def. Alejandro Augusto/Syrym Abdukhalikov (TTU) 8-6
2. Robert Schulze/Sofiane Chevallier (GSU) def. Vasily Eremeev/Artem Tarasov (TTU) 8-0