No. 60 Men's Tennis falls 4-0 at No. 74 ETSU
Bristol, Tenn.--The No. 60-ranked Georgia State men's tennis team dropped a hard-fought 4-0 decision at No. 74 ETSU on Friday at the Bristol Racquet Club in Bristol Tenn.
Georgia State (6-2) now looks forward to a showdown with Nebraska on Saturday morning at 10 a.m. The Panthers and Huskers are meeting for the first time in series history. GSU, led by first-year head coach Joerg Barthel, will play Nebraska on the indoor playing surface at the Bristol Racquet Club.
"ETSU and us are two evenly-matched teams, but today ETSU did all the little things better than we did in every aspect," Barthel said, "Hats off to them because today they played well and deserved to win."
The Panthers could not shake off dropping their first doubles point of the season vs. ETSU (4-2). In a back-and-forth match at No. 1 singles, senior Victor Valente fell by a narrow 6-4, 7-6 (8-6) margin to senior Jesus Bandres. Bandres is ranked No. 19 in the Ohio Valley Region Singles rankings.
Junior Thomas Cook fought back from being down 4-0 in the first set to win his first set 7-6 (7-4) in a tiebreaker. His match went unfinished with Cook leading 2-1 in the third set as the No. 1 singles match clinched the win for the Buccaneers.
"The one thing that we took away from today was that we weren't aggressive enough to give us a chance to win the match," Barthel said. "That is a big problem when you play on fast indoor courts. We need to make sure we are aggressive enough tomorrow for our match against Nebraska."
Live stats will be provided for GSU's Saturday morning match vs. Nebraska. Visit the men's tennis page on GeorgiaStateSports.com for a full recap of the match following its completion.
#74 East Tennessee
State 4, #60 Georgia State 0
1. Jesus Bandres (ETSU) def. #75 Victor Valente (GSU) 6-4, 7-6 (8-6)
2. Rogerio Ribeiro (ETSU) def. Lucas Santa Ana (GSU) 6-0, 6-3
3. Jorge Varon (ETSU) vs. Thomas Cook (GSU) 6-7 (4-7), 6-4, 1-2, unfinished
4. Juan Ramirez (ETSU) def. Robert Schulze (GSU) 1-6, 6-3, 6-2
5. Roger Ordeig (ETSU) vs. Andrew Zedde (GSU) 0-1, unfinished
6. Ricardo Pabon (ETSU) vs. Sofiane Chevallier (GSU) unfinished
1. Jesus Bandres/Rogerio Ribeiro (ETSU) vs. Victor Valente/Lucas Santa Ana (GSU) 7-5, unfinished
2. Juan Ramirez/Jorge Varon (ETSU) def. Sofiane Chevallier/Robert Schulze (GSU) 8-6
3. Roger Ordeig/Ricardo Pabon (ETSU) def. Thomas Cook/Andrew Zedde (GSU) 8-4