Men's Tennis falls 6-1 at No. 65 Miami
Coral Gables, Fla.—The Georgia State men’s tennis team wrapped up its spring break road trip with a 6-1 loss at No. 65-ranked Miami on Friday afternoon.
GSU senior Victor Valente, the No. 67-ranked player in the ITA National Singles rankings, improved his record this season to 13-3 in singles play with a straight-set victory on Friday. Valente defeated Miami’s Gabriel Flores at the No. 1 position by a 7-6, 6-3 score. Alll 13 of Valente’s victories have come in straight sets this season.
The Panthers (9-8) look forward to the MTSU Shootout in Murfreesboro, Tenn., next weekend. The event provides Georgia State an opportunity to play at least three matches across two days of play in preparation for the Sun Belt Conference Championship on Apr. 18.
“We came out flat in doubles and that unfortunately carried over into singles,” first-year head coach Joerg Barthel said. “We had set points early and went up a break or two on some courts in singles, so we had our opportunities but couldn’t finish sets and matches off. We are going to work hard in practice and we look forward to the MTSU Shootout next weekend.”
Friday’s match was just the second all-time between Georgia State and Miami (12-5) and the first since 2001. Miami jumped to No. 65 in the latest ITA National Team rankings after earning a No. 70 ranking with four wins vs. nationally-ranked opponents.
Visit the men’s tennis page for a preview of the MTSU Shootout next week.
#65 Miami 6, Georgia State 1
1. #67 Victor Valente (GSU) def. Gabriel Flores (UM) 7-6, 6-3
2. Diego Soto (UM) def. Thomas Cook (GSU) 6-1, 6-0
3. Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM) def. Lucas Santa Ana (GSU) 4-6, 7-5, 1-0
4. Omar Aly (UM) def. Robert Schulze (GSU) 6-3, 7-6
5. Marco Stancati (UM) def. Sofiane Chevallier (GSU) 7-6, 6-4
6. William Albanese (UM) def. Paul Schuette (GSU) 3-6, 6-2, 6-4
1. Omar Aly/Wilfredo Gonzalez (UM) vs. #38 Victor Valente/Lucas Santa Ana (GSU) 6-5, unfinished
2. Diego Soto/Gabriel Flores (UM) def. Thomas Cook/Paul Schuette (GSU) 8-3
3. Marco Stancati/Henrique Tsukamoto (UM) def. Robert Schulze/Sofiane Chevallier (GSU) 8-5
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (2,5,4,1,6,3)