Panthers' Incredible Season Rolls to Nashville
In the midst of arguably its best season in school history, the Georgia State men's tennis team learned of its destiny in the 2013 NCAA Men's Tennis Tournament on Tuesday, April 30 at Six Feet Under. Now, the Panthers (15-10), led by first-year head coach Joerg Barthel, ride a record-setting year to host Vanderbilt University in Nashville, Tenn., to take on No. 26-ranked Illinois in the first round of the 2013 NCAA Tournament on May 10 (11 a.m. CT, Noon ET). Host and No. 16 Vanderbilt meets No. 70 East Tennessee in an in-state match as the other two teams in this bracket.
The 2012-13 season will go down as one of the greatest in Georgia State men’s tennis history. Below is a compilation of the accomplishments of this year’s historic team.
- 2013 NCAA Tournament automatic qualifier (First time since 2007, sixth NCAA bid all-time)
- No. 3 seed in the NCAA Regional (Hosted by Vanderbilt University)
- 2013 Sun Belt Conference Champions (Came back from 0-3 deficit to defeat #49 MTSU, 4-3)
- No. 64 ITA National Team ranking (In position to qualify for next season’s ITA Kick-Off event)
- First time in school history the GSU men’s tennis team qualified for the NCAA Tournament in three ways in the same season: team, singles (Victor Valente) and doubles (Santa Ana/Valente).
- 2013 NCAA Singles Championship automatic qualifier (Victor Valente, Senior, first since 2007)
- ITA Nationally-Ranked Singles player (Victor Valente, #63)
- 2013 All-Sun Belt First Team Singles (Victor Valente, 19-4 record)
- 2013 All-Sun Belt Second Team Singles (Robert Schulze, Junior, 16-7 record)
- Highest Individual ITA National Singles Ranking in school history (Victor Valente, #54 on Jan. 3, 2013)
- Sun Belt Players of the Week: Junior Thomas Cook (Feb. 6), Victor Valente (Mar. 6, Mar. 27)
- 2013 NCAA Doubles Championship automatic qualifier (Lucas Santa Ana and Victor Valente, Seniors, first in school history)
- ITA Nationally-Ranked Doubles team (Santa Ana/Valente, #50)
- 2013 All-Sun Belt First Team Doubles (Santa Ana/Valente, 14-2 record)
- Second Highest ITA National Doubles Ranking in school history (Santa Ana/Valente, #38 on Mar. 12)
- USTA/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate participant (Victor Valente, first in school history)
- ITA Southeast Regional Championship singles runner-up (Victor Valente, first in school history)
- ITA Kick-Off Weekend participant (First time in school history)
Visit the men’s tennis page on GeorgiaStateSports.com for all coverage of the team tournament, which begins at Noon on May 10th vs. No. 29-ranked Illinois in Nashville, Tenn., as well as the singles and doubles tournaments in late May