ATLANTA – Ending the most successful season in Georgia State women’s tennis history, Abigail Tere-Apisah and Masa Grgan finished the 2013-14 campaign ranked among the national top 25 in the final ITA rankings released on Wednesday.
Tere-Apisah posted the highest finish by a Georgia State tennis player in school history, completing the year ranked No. 15 in the nation in singles. She also teamed with Grgan to also post the highest doubles finish in school history by earning the No. 23 spot in the final ITA rankings.
“To have both Abigail and Masa in the final top 25 in the nation is a testament to the time, effort and dedication they have put in to make themselves better and help this program grow,” head coach Robin Stephenson said. “Abigail obviously is one of the best players in the country and I’m proud that she will be leave as the most decorated player in school history. And together with Masa, they have set the bar so much higher for this program moving forward.”
Among the highlights Tere-Apisah and Grgan helped set for Georgia State in 2013-14 are:
- Helping the team win the first NCAA postseason match in school history, which also marked the first time a female team from any sport at Georgia State advanced in the NCAA tournament
- Boosting the team to a No. 55 ITA ranking on May 28, the second-highest final ranking in school history, after winning the Sun Belt Conference championship and advancing to the NCAA tournament for only the second time
- Tere-Apisah, who set the school record with 32 wins this year, reached the national semifinals, the farthest any player has gone in individual NCAA postseason play in school history
- Tere-Apisah was also only the second Panther in any sport to become a two-time All-American (2012 and 2014)
- Together they became the first Georgia State doubles team to win a postseason match at the NCAA Doubles Championship, finishing one win short of All-America status
- Having two doubles teams (Tere-Apisah and Grgan, along with Marcia Tere-Apisah and Tarani Kamoe, appear in the ITA rankings in the same week during the regular season.