Panthers Face No. 6-Seed Troy in Sun Belt Semis Saturday
Mike Holmes/Sports Communications
Georgia State vs. Troy
Sun Belt Conference tournament semifinals
March 11, 2017
3 p.m. ET/2 p.m. CT
Lakefront Arena/New Orleans, LA
Radio: 1340 The Fan 3/103.7 FM
- Georgia State and Troy for the 32nd time on Saturday (GSU, 18-13) and the fourth time in conference tournaments (Troy, 2-1)
- The last time the Panthers were a No. 2 seed was 2000 as a member of the TAAC. GSU is 4-2 all-time in conference tournaments as the No. 2 seed.
- GSU is 26-31 all-time in conference tournaments, winning titles in 2015 (1-seed), 2001 (1-seed) and 1991 (5-seed).
- Georgia State and Troy split the season series with each team winning on the road.
- GSU earned an 86-76 win over No. 7-seed Louisiana on Friday night in the Sun Belt tournament quarterfinals.
- Georgia State and Louisiana have met three times in the conference tournament. The winner of the previous two has advanced to the NCAA tournament.
- Jeremy Hollowell has recorded double-doubles in back-to-back games, setting career-highs in rebounds in each game (14 vs. Louisiana).
- Hollowell’s 14 rebounds vs. Louisiana are tied for the most in a conference tournament game in program history.
- Georgia State made 27 free throws against Louisana, tied for the most ever in a conference tournament game.
- Freshman D’Marcus Simonds scored a team-high 17 points against Louisiana and tied a career-high with eight rebounds.
- Since rejoining the Sun Belt, GSU is 53-23 in conference regular season games, the most wins of any school in the league.
- Head coach Ron Hunter has led the Panthers for six years and is responsible for four of the seven most successful seasons in program history.
- D’Marcus Simonds earned Sun Belt Freshman of the Year honors on Monday. R.J. Hunter (CAA) is the only other GSU player to earn freshman honors.
- Hollowell (Second Team) and Simonds (Third Team) both earned All-Sun Belt recognition on Monday.
- In late January/early February, GSU won eight-straight games which is tied for the third-longest streak in program history.
- Senior Willie Clayton is one of just 14 active players in the NCAA with 1,000+ points and 850+ rebounds).
- Isaiah Dennis has been a part of 86 wins at GSU, second-most in program history.
- Jeremy Hollowell scored his 1,000th career point at Troy on Jan. 28. He has scored 921 points at GSU which is ranked No. 25 in program history.
- Ron Hunter enters play with 123 wins at GSU, the most in program history.
- Freshman D’Marcus Simonds was named MVP of the Cancun Challenge in November.
- Georgia State is 83-38 (.686) since Dec. 14, 2013.