What you need to know
* The Panthers defeated Charlotte in a 7-0 sweep, with Felipe Jaworski earning his second-straight match-clinching point of the season.
* The team is 11-6 on the season (2-1 SBC), with four regular season matches left.
* GSU will conclude spring break play against UNC Wilmington on Saturday at 2 p.m.
WILMINGTON, N.C.- The No. 44 Georgia State men’s tennis team swept Charlotte in a 7-0 win at UNC Wilmington Friday afternoon. Senior Felipe Jaworski earned the match-clinching point for GSU, his second-straight match clincher this season.
With the victory, the Panthers improved to 11-6 overall (2-1 SBC) while the 49ers fell to 9-7 on the season.
Georgia State continued to show strong doubles play, clinching the point at the top two matches. Zackery Kennedy and Andrei Andrukhou defeated Sam Rice and Leonardo Menezes 6-2, with Sebastian Acuna and Jack MacFarlane clinching the doubles point with a 6-3 victory over Alejandro Garcia and Oriol Puig in the No. 2 match.
In singles play, Jannis Koeke defeated Menezes 6-3, 6-1 while Kennedy earned a 6-1, 6-4 win over Rice at the No. 1 match to put the Panthers up 3-0. Jaworski earned his second match-clinching point of the season, defeating Puig 6-4, 6-1 in the No. 5 match.
Acuna earned a 6-3, 6-3 victory over Garcia, before Max Benaim fell 6-4, 6-4 to MacFarlane. Andrukhou was the final Panther to finish, completing the team’s sweep with a 7-6 (5), 7-5 defeat of Costandinos Christoforou.
“I’m really happy with how the guys played today,” head coach Brett Ross said. “Up and down the lineup, it was a great effort against a solid and well-coached Charlotte team. We have some momentum going now and are looking forward to another good match against UNC Wilmington tomorrow.”
Georgia State will conclude spring break play tomorrow against UNC Wilmington at 2 p.m.
1. Zackery Kennedy (GSU) def. Sam Rice (CHAR) 6-1, 6-4
2. Andrei Andrukhou (GSU) def. C. Christoforou (CHAR) 7-6 (5-0), 7-5
3. Jannis Koeke (GSU) def. Leonardo Menezes (CHAR) 6-3, 6-1
4. Sebastian Acuna (GSU) def. Alejandro Garcia (CHAR) 6-3, 6-3
5. Felipe Jaworski (GSU) def. Oriol Puig (CHAR) 6-4, 6-1
6. Jack MacFarlane (GSU) def. Max Benaim (CHAR) 6-4, 6-4
1. Zackery Kennedy/Andrei Andrukhou (GSU) def. Sam Rice/Leonardo Menezes (CHAR) 6-2
2. Sebastian Acuna/Jack MacFarlane (GSU) def. Alejandro Garcia/Oriol Puig (CHAR) 6-3
3. Felipe Jaworski/Jannis Koeke (GSU) vs. Max Benaim/C. Christoforou (CHAR) 5-5, unfinished