What you need to know:
* The Panthers fell 4-3 in a tough loss at Clemson Friday night.
* The team is 4-5 following the loss.
* GSU will return to the court Sunday to host Louisville at 3 p.m.
ANDERSON, S.C.- In a close 4-3 loss Friday night, the Georgia State men’s tennis team fell at Clemson after a hard-fought match.
With the loss, the Panthers fell to 4-5 and the Tigers improved to 5-1.
Georgia State went ahead early, earning the doubles point in the third set. Sebastian Acuna and Andrei Duarte earned a 6-1 win at the No. 3 position Clemson split doubles as Giles Hussey and Kevin Huynh fell 6-3. Andrei Andrukhou and Quentin Coulaud clinched the point 7-6 at the No. 1 position and the Panthers went up 1-0.
The Tigers tied the match at the top of singles play, with No. 91 Alex Favrot defeating Andrukhou 6-4, 6-2. Clemson went up 2-1 as Huynh fell at the No. 5 position 6-4, 6-4. The team went within one of the clinch at the No. 6 position when Duarte fell 7-6, 6-4.
The Panthers pulled the score to 3-2 as Hussey earned a 3-6, 6-2, 7-5 win over Yizhou Liu and Acuna tied the match with a 5-7, 6-4, 6-3 victory at the No. 3 position. Clemson clinched the win at the No. 2 position when Coulaud fell 4-6, 7-5, 7-5 in the tiebreaker set.
Georgia State will return to the court Sunday, hosting Louisville at 3 p.m. at LifeTime Fitness.
1. #91 Alex Favrot (CU) def. Andrei Andrukhou (GSU) 6-4, 6-2
2. Simon Baudry (CU) def. Quentin Coulaud (GSU) 4-6, 7-5, 7-5
3. Sebastian Acuna (GSU) def. Sam Edwards (CU) 5-7, 6-4, 6-3
4. Giles Hussey (GSU) def. Yizhou Liu (CU) 3-6, 6-2, 7-5
5. Carlos Kelaidis (CU) def. Kevin Huynh (GSU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Marshall Dagostine (CU) def. Andrei Duarte (GSU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-4
1. Andrei Andrukhou/Quentin Coulaud (GSU) def. Alex Favrot/Simon Baudry (CU) 7-6 (7-5)
2. Sam Edwards/Yizhou Liu (CU) def. Giles Hussey/Kevin Huynh (GSU) 6-3
3. Sebastian Acuna/Andrei Duarte (GSU) def. Carlos Kelaidis/Marshall Dagostine (CU) 6-1