What you need to know:
* Louisville knocked off Georgia State 4-1 Friday afternoon
* The Panthers picked up their first doubles point of the year despite the loss
* GSU returns to action next Friday for a match at UNCW
LOUISVILLE, Ky. – Georgia State men’s tennis dropped a 4-1 decision to Louisville Friday afternoon at the Bass-Rudd Tennis Center.
The loss moved the Panthers to 2-2 overall while Louisville improved to 5-2 and won its second consecutive match.
Despite the loss, GSU earned its first doubles point of the young season, as Bailey Showers and Diego Padilha defeated 34th-ranked Brandon Lancaster and George Hedley 6-1 at the No. 2 position and Giles Hussey and Jack MacFarlane knocked off Federico Gomez and Alex Wesbrooks 6-3 at the No. 3 spot.
Padilha and Showers remain unbeaten in doubles play after earning victories in both the No. 2 and 3 position this year.
Louisville quickly took control after securing two-set victories on courts four, five and six of singles play to lead the Panthers 3-1. Vazha Shubladze battled at the No. 3 position but ultimately came up just shy of forcing a third set, falling 7-5, 7-6 (7-3). Showers and Duarte, who both entered Friday’s contest without a loss in singles, both suffered their first defeats of the year.
Georgia State returns to action next Friday afternoon for a match at UNCW.
Louisville 4, GSU 1
1. Christopher Morin-Kougoucheff (UL) vs. Giles Hussey (GSU) 2-6, 6-4, 4-2, unfinished
2. Brandon Lancaster (UL) vs. Roberts Grinvalds (GSU) 2-6, 6-4, 2-3, unfinished
3. Fabien Salle (UL) def. Vazha Shubladze (GSU) 7-5, 7-6 (7-3)
4. Federico Gomez (UL) def. Bailey Showers (GSU) 6-3, 6-3
5. Sergio Ramirez (UL) def. Andrei Duarte (GSU) 6-4, 6-2
6. David Mizrahi (UL) def. Kevin Huynh (GSU) 7-5, 6-4
1. Christopher Morin-Kougoucheff/Fabien Salle (UL) def. Roberts Grinvalds/Andrei Duarte (GSU) 6-3
2. Bailey Showers/Diego Padilha (GSU) def. [No. 34] Brandon Lancaster/George Hedley (UL) 6-1
3. Giles Hussey/Jack MacFarlane (GSU) def. Federico Gomez/Alex Wesbrooks (UL) 6-3
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (5,4,6,3)
Follow along with Georgia State on Twitter (@GSUMTennis) for the latest news and updates.