The Georgia State Sports Arena serves as the “Home of the Panthers” for both men’s and women’s basketball, volleyball and the Athletic Department offices.
Construction for the Sports Arena, located at the corner of
The gymnasium floor is located on the third level and is the home court for those three sports. Seating for basketball is accessible on both the third and fourth floors, while team locker rooms, remodeled and renovated in 2005, are on the second floor. The main Athletic Department is on the second floor.
On Dec. 12, 2003, the playing surface was officially named Charles “Lefty”
During the summer of 2004, a new playing floor was laid down for the basketball and volleyball teams to enjoy. The floor is freshly painted, as are many of the walls in the arena. During the 2002-03 basketball seasons, a new, four-sided scoreboard was added, along with a new scorer’s table. For the 2006 basketball season, a huge video signage board was installed on the south end wall.
Another recent improvement to the arena was a new Student-Athlete Learning Lab, which opened on the first floor to provide space for the 225-plus student-athletes for advisement, “power hour” study halls, tutorial assistance, and a computer lab.
Over the years, the Georgia State Sports Arena has hosted several other events besides basketball games and volleyball matches. Following are some of those events:
• The 1996 Summer Olympic Games in
• ESPN’s 14th Annual College Slam Dunk & 3-Point Championships, which took place in conjunction with the 2002 men’s Final Four down the road at the Georgia Dome. The celebrity judges included NFL QB Michael Vick, boxer Evander Holyfield, and music star Jermaine Dupre. In addition, the Sports Arena also hosted the 2007 edition of the competition.
• Pop band *NSYNC sold the facility out for an exhibition basketball game before Atlanta hosted Super Bowl XXXIV at the Georgia Dome in 2000
• Performances by entertainers Jay Leno, Dana Carvey, Jamie Foxx, The Spinners, the Beastie Boys, Cheap Trick and the Harlem Globetrotters are among the hundreds held over the decades in this facility.
• Championship Tournaments have been held here.
Please click here for a photo album of the Georgia State Sports Arena, showing outside images, inside configurations, and the Learning Lab.