GEORGIA STATE TAILGATING POLICY
- Tailgating is defined as parking in a designated location or area and/or setting up
non-permanent facilities (such as tents and tables) to consume food and beverages prior to an officially sanctioned University event to which the public is invited and the event has been approved for tailgating. If the President or his designee pre-approves the consumption of alcohol for a specific tailgating event, only malt beverages and unfortified wine may be consumed by individuals twenty-one (21) years of age or older.
- GEORGIA STATE UNIVERSITY DOES NOT SANCTION THE CONSUMPTION OR POSSESSION OF ALCOHOLIC BEVERAGES BY UNDERAGE PERSONS; NOR DOES IT SANCTION THE VIOLATION OF FEDERAL, STATE OR LOCAL LAW.
- Individuals attending events at Georgia State University are expected to conduct themselves in a manner respectful of the nature and character of the university. Persons acting in a disruptive, disrespectful or disorderly manner may be asked to leave the premises or be subject to citation. Students may also be charged with a violation of the Student Code of Conduct.
Tailgating Areas and Policies:
- Possession and consumption of alcoholic beverages while tailgating will be permitted in the following areas, or those parking lots adjacent to the facilities listed below, unless otherwise stipulated by the University Administration:
- Georgia State Stadium Plaza
- Parking Lots around Georgia State Stadium
- THE ABOVE DESIGNATED AREAS ARE THE ONLY LOCATIONS APPROVED FOR TAILGATING WITH ALCOHOL.
- Consumption of alcohol outside designated areas and/or time periods constitutes a violation of Georgia State University tailgating policy. Violators are subject to prosecution under the Georgia State Student Code of Conduct, the laws of The City of Atlanta, and/or the laws of the State of Georgia.
- Tailgating sites will not open prior to 9:00 A.M. before the official beginning of the event.
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages may begin no more than 4 hours before the starting time of the event. Consumption of alcoholic beverages during an event is prohibited.
- Tailgating is limited to directly behind your parked vehicle. Roadways cannot be blocked for any reason and more than one parking spot cannot be used.
- Donors should obtain written permission from Georgia State University before making any changes to assigned parking spots.
- Tents must be confined to the parking spot of the individual and must not interfere with adjacent parking spaces, impede traffic lanes or create safety hazards.
- Motor homes will not be allowed to park in campus parking lots the night before a game.
- Tailgating will be allowed in areas listed above for
- Amplified sound is prohibited in the tailgating lots.
- No unauthorized vehicles are allowed in the parking lots including unauthorized sponsor/promotional vehicles, unauthorized golf carts, beer trolleys, motorized scooters, etc…
- All vehicles parked in undesignated areas will be subject to towing at the owner’s expense.
Consumption of Alcohol:
- Consistent with Georgia State Law, only malt beverages, and unfortified wine may be possessed or consumed. Spirituous liquor (including mixed drinks) is NOT permitted.
- Kegs and other common containers are not allowed at any time.
- Glass containers are not allowed.
- Drinking games, including, but not limited to, beer pong, and the use of devices intended to accelerate the consumption of alcohol, including, but not limited to, funnels or beer bongs, are prohibited.
- Any participant who consumes alcoholic beverages at such events must be able to produce a valid driver’s license or other photo ID that reflects the person’s age upon request.
- Consumption of alcoholic beverages is prohibited on any other part of the campus or on public streets that run through or are adjacent to Georgia State property.
Consumption and Preparation of Food
- No food may be sold without proper University permit (either Food Services and/or Athletics).
- Propane and charcoal grills are the only permissible sources of heat for cooking. Burned coals and/or residue from cooking may not be permitted to make contact with the paved surface of the parking lot. Hot coals must be completely extinguished with water prior or placed in coal bins prior to leaving the tailgating site.
- Open Flame fires, including fire pits, are prohibited.
- All groups and individuals participating in tailgating are responsible for proper disposal of their trash and other debris such as charcoal.
- Recycling is strongly encouraged.
- Trash containers will be provided throughout parking lots and tailgating locations.
- No sales activities are allowed on the Georgia State University campus, including any/all tailgating areas, without permission from the appropriate University office, i.e. Athletics
- Only Georgia State Athletics, University Bookstore or their designated representatives will be allowed to sell merchandise at athletics events.
- The distribution of promotional items on University property is prohibited unless prior approval has been received.
- No permanent or semi-permanent structures may be constructed or placed for any activity on University grounds except by authority of the Georgia State University Department of Design and Construction.
- Georgia State University assumes no responsibility for any lost or stolen items. Be sure to lock up all personal belongings.