What you need to know:
* The Panthers split its opening day, defeating Mercer but falling to host No. 21 Florida State.
* Freshman Kevin Huynh earned his first collegiate win in dual play, while Sebastian Acuna earned his first clinch of the season.
* GSU will conclude the tournament tomorrow against North Florida at 2:30 p.m.
TALLAHASSEE, Fla.- The Georgia State men’s tennis team split the first of the FSU Spring Invite, defeating Mercer and falling to No. 21 Florida State.
The Panthers are now 1-1 after the first day of dual play, with one match left in the tournament.
The team opened the tournament strong, sweeping Mercer in straight sets. Freshman Kevin Huynh earned his first collegiate singles win in dual play, defeating Ruben Vanoppen 6-1, 6-1. Quentin Coulaud put the Panthers up 2-0, defeating Oliver Stuart 6-1, 6-3 at the No. 2 position.
Giles Hussey put GSU within one, earning a 6-4, 6-3 victory over Fernando Guardia. Sebastian Acuna put the match away, earning his first clinch of the season with a 6-1, 7-5 win over Stathis Tsirandis.
Doubles matches were not played due to the sweep.
Georgia State advanced to the semifinals of the tournament with the win over Mercer, facing host No. 21 Florida State. The Panthers dropped the doubles point in the third set, with No. 60 Hussey and Huynh earning a 6-3 victory over Jose Garcia and Lucas Poullain in the only doubles win for GSU.
The Panthers will play for third place tomorrow against North Florida, with first serve at 2:30 p.m.
"Overall I'm proud of the team and the way they competed against a talented FSU team," head coach Jonathan Wolff said. "We certainly had chances to snag the doubles point after a great win from Kevin and Giles against the No. 8 ranked team in the nation, but we came up just short. We fought hard until the end of a very long day and it's these kinds of matches when we need to physically push through it, but we have another great opportunity tomorrow against another gritty team in North Florida."
Follow along with Georgia State on Twitter (@GSUMTennis) for the latest news and updates.
1. Sam Philp (MU) vs. Andrei Duarte (GSU) no result
2. Quentin Coulaud (GSU) def. Oliver Stuart (MU) 6-1, 6-3
3. Nicolas Guillon (MU) vs. Jack MacFarlane (GSU) no result
4. Sebastian Acuna (GSU) def. Stathis Tsiranidis (MU) 6-1, 7-5
5. Giles Hussey (GSU) def. Fernando Guardia (MU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Kevin Huynh (GSU) def. Ruben Vanoppen (MU) 6-1, 6-1
Florida State Results
1. Aziz Dougaz (FS) def. Andrei Andrukhou (GSU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Guy Iradukunda (FS) def. Quentin Coulaud (GSU) 6-4, 6-2
3. Lucas Poullain (FS) def. Jack MacFarlane (GSU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Jose Gracia (FS) vs. Sebastian Acuna (GSU) 7-5, 1-2, unfinished
5. Chase Wood (FS) vs. Giles Hussey (GSU) 6-2, 5-1, unfinished
6. Rana Roop Bhullar (FS) vs. Kevin Huynh (GSU) 6-7 (9-11), 1-0, unfinished
1. Aziz Dougaz/Guy Iradukunda (FS) def. Andrei Andrukhou/Quentin Coulaud (GSU) 6-4
2. Giles Hussey/Kevin Huynh (GSU) def. Jose Gracia/Lucas Poullain (FS) 6-3
3. Terrance Whitehurst/Terrell Whitehurst (FS) def. Sebastian Acuna/Jack MacFarlane (GSU) 6-3