What you need to know:
*Ramirez improved to 4-0 in singles play on the season with a straight set victory.
*GSU, now 1-3 on the year will face Georgia Tech next Friday in Atlanta.
TUSCALOOSA, Ala.- A trio of singles victories by Panthers were not enough to overcome an early deficit in a 4-3 loss to Alabama on Friday afternoon in Tuscaloosa. The loss drops GSU to 1-3 on the season while Alabama improves to 5-0.
Freshman Eva Chivu earned her first collegiate win over a nationally ranked foe, defeating #47 Andie Daniell on court one. A straight set win from Daniela Ramirez on court three helped the senior stay perfect, improving to 4-0 in singles action. Grosheva would win in a tiebreak to notch her first singles win of the season.
The Crimson Tide got out to a quick lead, winning 6-2 on both courts two and three to take the doubles point and a 1-0 lead in the match. The loss was the first of the season on the number two court for Chivu and partner Damira Muminović.
The Panthers would concede singles points on courts two, four, and five giving Alabama a 4-0 advantage. However, GSU would battle back as Chivu overcame a first set loss to earn a 1-6, 7-6, 1-0 (12-10) tiebreak win on court one. Ramirez would follow with a 6-3, 7-5 victory, and Grosheva would take home her first singles win of 2019 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (13-11) to close out the afternoon.
Georgia State will be back in Atlanta next weekend for a Friday afternoon match at Georgia Tech. The Panthers and Yellow Jackets will meet at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex at 3:00 p.m.
1. Eva Chivu def. Andie Daniell 1-6, 7-6 (7-5), 1-0 (12-10)
2. Moka Ito def. Damira Muminović 6-2, 6-1
3. Daniela Ramirez def. Jacqueline Pelletier 6-3, 7-5
4. Alba Cortina Pou def. Andreea Stanescu 6-2, 6-1
5. Ann Selim def. Lara Vovk 6-2, 6-2
6. Anastasia Grosheva def. Luca Fabian 6-3, 4-6, 1-0 (13-11)
1. Daniell/Ito (ALA) vs. Chivu/Muminović (GSU) 5-2 DNF
2. Fabian/Cortina Pou (ALA) def. Ramirez/Stanescu (GSU) 6-2
3. Selim/Gintrand (ALA) def. Grosheva/Vovk (GSU) 6-2
For more news and updates visit @GSUWTennis on Twitter.