Georgia State to Begin Sun Belt Play as Mavericks Come to Town
Georgia State Sports Communications
Game 12: GEORGIA STATE (6-5, 0-0 SBC) vs. UT ARLINGTON (8-3, 0-0 SBC)
Jan. 3, 6:00 p.m. ET • GSU Sports Arena • Atlanta, Ga.
TV: ESPN+ • Radio: 94.1 WSTR-HD2/GeorgiaStateSports.com
• Georgia State starts the new year with Sun Belt play as the Panthers welcome UT Arlington to the Sports Arena on Thursday night. GSU will then host Texas State Saturday at 2 p.m.
• GSU ended non-conference play with a 6-5 record. That’s the most wins in non-conference for GSU since the team went 8-2 in 2012-13.
• The Panthers closed out 2018 with a gutsy performance at #25 Florida State in Tallahassee. The Panthers led in the third quarter before the Seminoles caught fire and went on a big fourth quarter run to win.
• UT Arlington leads the all-time series 7-2. GSU’s last win over the Mavericks at home was a 64-59 victory on Feb. 18, 2017.
• Jada Lewis scored 30 points in the win over NCCU on Dec. 20. It was the most points by a Panthers since 2007.
• Kierra Henry scored her 700th career point at Jacksonville State. Henry leads all active Panthers in career points (719). Jada Lewis scored her 500th career point in the contest.
• Gene Hill was the first women’s basketball coach to start their GSU tenure 3-0 since Joyce Patterson in the 1980-81 season.
• At 16.7 points per game, Jada Lewis ranks fourth in the conference. Walnatia Wright’s 9.7 rebounds per game is third best in the SBC.
• Shaq Miller-McCray leads the conference with 2.0 blocked shots per contest. Jada Lewis leads the SBC in minutes per game at 38.3.
• Head coach Gene Hill got his first win at Georgia State in the season opener against UNCG. The Panthers won 70-63 to begin the Hill era. He is the 10th head coach in program history.
• All GSU home games will be broadcast live on ESPN+ this season.