Game 20: GEORGIA STATE (5-14, 1-7 SBC) vs. TEXAS STATE (13-7, 6-3 SBC)
Jan. 27, 12 p.m. • GSU Sports Arena • Atlanta, Ga.
TV: ESPN3 • Radio: 1340 The Fan 3 / 103.7 FM
• Georgia State hosts Texas State Saturday at noon. GSU is coming off an overtime loss to UT Arlington Thursday night.
• Georgia State trailed UTA by as much as 16 Thursday before rallying to send the game to OT. Madison Newby had a double-double with 23 points, 12 assists.
• Kierra Henry is averaging a team-best 14.5 points per game. She has scored double-digit points in 15 of 19 games this season.
• Georgia State is shooting an impressive 74.5% from the free throw line this season which ranks first in the Sun Belt. Kierra Henry leads the team at 82.4%.• The Panthers rank 17th in the country with 312 free throws made. That mark is tops in the Sun Belt.
• GSU ranks third in the Sun Belt in steals per game with 9.1. Madison Newby is third in the conference with 2.06 steals per contest.
• Kierra Henry scored 28 points at Troy earlier this season. It was the most points scored by a Panther since Kelcey Roegiers scored 33 in 2007.
• Junior Kierra Henry leads Georgia State in points (276) and assists (70). Francesca Minali is the leading rebounder with 86.
• Sophomores Jada Lewis and Madison Newby were named preseason All-Sun Belt.
• Jada Lewis was the 2016-17 Sun Belt Freshman of the Year and Madison Newby was the 2015-16 SBC Freshman of the Year.
• The Panthers had a challenging start to the season, facing Florida, No. 4 Mississippi State and Georgia Tech on the road for the first three games.
• Head coach Sharon Baldwin has two new members on the staff in Tron Griffin and Jasmine Young. Young played for Baldwin at East Carolina (2005-09).
COACHES VERSUS CANCER
For the 2017-18 basketball season, the Sun Belt and its member schools are set to participate in Coaches vs. Cancer’s Suits & Sneakers Week and 3-Point Challenge. Georgia State head coaches Ron Hunter and Sharon Baldwin will participate in the event on Saturday as the Panthers host Texas State in the GSU Sports Arena.
Suits & Sneakers Week
Beginning with games during the week of Jan. 22 through games over the Feb. 1-3 weekend, Sun Belt men’s and women’s coaches will swap their dress shoes for sneakers and gold Princess Lacey’s laces and join more than 4,000 basketball coaches and staff across the country in support of the American Cancer Society’s efforts to combat cancer. In addition, Division I men’s basketball coaches will also be wearing an exclusive Coaches vs. Cancer tie designed by Vineyard Vines.
Suits and Sneakers Week is a nationwide event that unites coaches across the country to raise funds and awareness about the fight against cancer and promotes the American Cancer Society as a source of inspiration and hope for those facing cancer.
During the month of February, Sun Belt men’s and women’s basketball coaches are also set to participate in the Coaches vs. Cancer 3-Point Challenge. The conference and its member schools encourage fans, corporate partners and media to join the excitement by joining your favorite team to help raise funds for the American Cancer Society.
Fans now have the opportunity to pledge a dollar amount for every 3-pointer made by their favorite teams by clicking on the 3PointChallenge.org link on SunBeltFightsCancer.org. The funds raised will help the American Cancer Society continue its mission
Follow the 3-Point Challenge competition nationally at 3PointChallenge.org/College.