What you need to know
* The Panthers earned a 4-3 victory over the ETSU Bucs Sunday afternoon in the final match of the ETSU Shootout.
* The team is now 8-5 on the season (1-1 SBC), with Andrei Andrukhou clinching the match for the team in his second clinch of the season.
* GSU be back on the court Thursday afternoon to face Louisville in the final of a three-match road stretch.
JOHNSON CITY, Tenn.- The Georgia State men’s tennis team defeated host ETSU 4-3 in the final match of the ETSU Shootout Sunday afternoon. Junior Andrei Andrukhou clinched the match for GSU, his second match-clinching point of the season.
The Panthers improved to 8-5 with the win, while the Bucs fell to 2-4.
Georgia State dropped the doubles point in straight matches, falling in the No. 1 and No. 2 matches. Sebastian Acuna and Andrukhou fell 6-2 to Diego Nunez and Robert Herrera, while Zackery Kennedy and Quentin Coulaud were defeated 6-4 by David Biosca and Miguel Este.
Kennedy was the first Panther to finish, falling 7-5, 6-0 to Biosca in the No. 1 match. GSU went down 3-0 when Jannis Koeke fell 6-3, 6-2 to Herrera. Jack MacFarlane earned the first point for the Panthers, defeating Wenceslao Albin 4-6, 6-0, 6-1 in the No. 6 match.
Acuna defeated David Gonzalez 6-3, 6-4 in the No. 5 match, before Coulaud won 6-4, 7-6 over Este to tie the match. Andrukhou clinched the match for Georgia State with a 6-7, 7-6, 6-4 defeat of Nunez.
“I couldn’t be more proud of the way our guys battled today,” head coach Brett Ross said. “We knew it was going to be a match against a very good ETSU, but I thought each guy went into their match with a resilient attitude and that really helped us come back from being down 3-0. Congrats to Andrei for putting the team on his back and coming through with a clutch effort to clinch the match.”
The Panthers will return to the court on Feb. 23 to face Louisville on the road.
1. #88 David Biosca (ETSU) def. #84 Zackery Kennedy (GSU) 7-5, 6-0
2. Andrei Andrukhou (GSU) def. #96 Diego Nunez (ETSU) 6-7, 7-6, 6-4
3. #69 Robert Herrera (ETSU) def. Jannis Koeke (GSU) 6-3, 6-2
4. Quentin Coulaud (GSU) def. Miguel Este (ETSU) 6-4, 7-6
5. Sebastian Acuna (GSU) def. David Gonzalez (ETSU) 6-3, 6-4
6. Jack MacFarlane (GSU) def. Wenceslao Albin (ETSU) 6-4, 6-0, 6-1
1. #59 Diego Nunez/Robert Herrera (ETSU) def. Sebastian Acuna/Andrei Andrukhou (GSU) 6-2
2. David Biosca/Miguel Este (ETSU) def. Zackery Kennedy/Quentin Coulaud (GSU) 6-4
3. David Gonzalez/Wenceslao Albin (ETSU) vs. Felipe Jaworski/Jack MacFarlane (GSU) 5-5, unfinished