What you need to know:
* The Panthers fell in a tough 4-0 loss at No. 26 Oregon Friday night.
* The team fell to 2-2 following the loss.
* The team will play its final match in Eugene, Ore. tomorrow night against Portland.
EUGENE, Ore.- The Georgia State men’s tennis team fell 4-0 in a hard-fought loss to No. 26 Oregon Friday night.
With the loss, the Panthers fell to 2-2 while the Ducks improved to 3-0.
Oregon got on the board quickly, earning the doubles point at the top two positions. Armando Soemarno and Charles Roberts defeated Quentin Coulaud and Andrei Andrukhou at the No. 1 position, while No. 17 Cormac Clissold and Thomas Laurent won 6-2 over No. 56 Kevin Huynh and Giles Hussey.
In singles play, No. 6 Laurent earned a 6-0, 6-2 victory over Andrukhou to put the Ducks up 2-0. Jack MacFarlane was the next Panther to fall after a 6-2, 6-3 defeat from Akihiro Tanaka. Simon Stevens clinched the match for Oregon at the No. 2 position with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Coulaud.
The final three Panthers went unfinished due to the clinch, with both Hussey and Huynh fighting back in the second set to nearly split both matches. Sebastian Acuna led Riki Oshima early in the first set, but eventually fell 7-6(5) before play was suspended.
Georgia State will continue west coast play in Eugene, Ore. tomorrow against the Portland Pilots, with first serve set for 5 p.m.
Follow along with Georgia State on Twitter (@GSUMTennis) for the latest news and updates.
1. No. 6 Thomas Laurent (UO) def. Andrei Andrukhou (GSU) 6-0, 6-2
2. Simon Stevens (UO) def. Quentin Coulaud (GSU) 6-4, 6-4
3. Akihiro Tanaka (UO) def. Jack MacFarlane (GSU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Riki Oshima (UO) def. Sebastian Acuna (GSU) 7-6(5) unfinished
5. Cormac Clissold (UO) def. Kevin Huynh (GSU) 6-4, 5-6 unfinished
6. Ty Gentry (UO) def.Giles Hussey (GSU) 6-2, 5-5 unfinished
1. Soemarno/Roberts (UO) def. Coulad/Andrukhou (GSU) 6-2
2. No. 17 Clissold/Laurent (UO) def. No. 56 Huynh/Hussey (GSU) 6-2
3. Tanaka/Oshima (UO) def. Acuna/Duarte (GSU) 3-3 unfinished