What you need to know:
* The Panthers earned its third win of the season after a thrilling 4-3 defeat of Portland.
* Sophomore Quentin Coulaud clinched the match, his second-straight.
* The team will return to the court next weekend at the ITA Kickoff hosted by Texas A&M.
EUGENE, Ore.- The Georgia State men’s tennis team defeated Portland 4-3 Saturday night in a thrilling showdown. Sophomore Quentin Coulaud clinched the match, his second-straight clinch of the season.
With the win, the Panthers improved to 3-2 and the Pilots fell to 0-1.
The Panthers earned the doubles point at the bottom two positions, with Sebastian Acuna and Andrei Duarte defeating Pierre Garcia and Tom Hann 6-2 and No. 56 Kevin Huynh and Giles Hussey clinching the point.
Portland tied the match 1-1 at the No. 1 position as Andrei Andrukhou fell 6-2, 6-2 to Michail Pervolarakis. Acuna put GSU ahead 2-1 with a 6-2, 6-4 victory over Alex Wallace. Huynh pulled the Panthers within one, defeating Carols Donat 6-4, 6-2.
Junior Jack MacFarlane was defeated at the No. 3 position, falling 6-3, 7-5 to Garcia. The Pilots tied again at 3-3, with Hussey falling 6-4, 6-7(5), 2-6 in the tiebreaker set. Coulaud clinched the match at the No. 2 position with a 7-6(8-6), 2-6, 6-4 victory.
“Tonight we showed resiliency and what being a Georgia State Panther is all about,” head coach Jonathan Wolff said. “We were fortunate to have pulled out a tough doubles point in what ended up being the decisive point for us. We found ourselves up 3-1 and in a good spot to close things out, but credit to Portland for climbing back onto the match to level the score. Overall, I could not be happier for Quentin for clinching the match for us and displaying great poise tonight. We’re excited to compete at the ITA Kickoff next weekend and will get some much-needed rest over the next couple of days.”
The team will return to the court next weekend at the ITA Kickoff in College Station, Texas, facing Cal Poly in the opening match.
Follow along with Georgia State on Twitter (@GSUMTennis) for the latest news and updates.
1. Michail Pervolarakis (UP) def. Andrei Andrukhou (GSU) 6-2, 6-2
2. Quentin Coulaud (GSU) def. Mathieu Garcia (UP) 7-6(8-6), 2-6, 6-4
3. Pierre Garcia (UP) def. Jack MacFarlane (GSU) 6-3, 7-5
4. Sebastian Acuna (GSU) def. Alex Wallace (UP) 6-2, 6-4
5. Kevin Huynh (GSU) def. Carlos Donat 6-4, 6-2
6. Tom Hann (UP) def. Giles Hussey (GSU) 6-4, 6-7(5), 6-2
1. Pervolarakis/Wallace (UP) def. Andrukhou/Coulaud 6-1
2. No. 56 Huynh/Hussey (GSU) def. M. Garcia/Fisher 7-5
3. Acuna/Duarte (GSU) def. P. Garcia/Hann 6-2