What you need to know:
* The Panthers went 2-0 in Jacksonville, Fla. this weekend after a 5-2 defeat of Charlotte Saturday afternoon.
* Freshman Kevin Huynh clinched the match for the second match in a row.
* The team will return to the court next weekend, hosting South Alabama Sunday afternoon.
JACKSONVILLE, Fla.- The Georgia State men’s tennis team concluded play in Florida with a 5-2 victory over Charlotte Saturday afternoon. Freshman Kevin Huynh clinched the match, his second clinch in a row.
With the win, the Panthers improved to 6-6 while the 49ers fell to 5-5.
Georgia State dropped the doubles point, falling in the top two positions. Luca Keist and Benjamin Wayard defeated Andrei Andrukhou and Quentin Coualud 6-4, while Giles Hussey and Kevin Huynh fell 6-3 at the No. 2 position.
The team bounced back quickly, with Sebastian Acuna earning a 6-2, 6-1 victory over Alejandro Garcia to tie the match 1-1. Hussey put GSU up 2-1 with a 6-2, 6-3 victory, while Bailey Showers put the team within one of the clinch with a 6-1, 6-4 win at the No. 6 position.
Charlotte earned their only singles point as Andrukhou fell 3-6, 6-4, 6-3 at the No. 1 position. Huynh clinched the match at the No. 5 position, defeating Oriol Puig 7-6(5), 7-6(3). Coulaud finished last for the Panthers, earning a 7-5, 2-6, 6-4 win in the tiebreaker set.
“This weekend of back to back matches in the Florida heat was a true test of physical and mental fortitude,” head coach Jonathan Wolff said. “We did a fantastic job in rising to the occasion against two talented teams and putting a tough couple of weeks behind us. By learning from our past moments in which we have played under pressure, we stepped up big time. Kevin Huynh definitely deserves MVP status this weekend, going 3-1 in singles and doubles play. We will continue to build off it into out conference final rematch at home next Sunday against South Alabama.”
GSU will return to the court next weekend, hosting South Alabama in the team’s conference opener. First serve is set for 1 p.m.
1. Luca Keist (CHAR) def. Andrei Andrukhou (GSU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-3
2. Quentin Coulaud (GSU) def. C. Christoforou (CHAR) 7-5, 2-6, 6-4
3. Sebastian Acuna (GSU) def. Alejandro Garcia (CHAR) 6-2, 6-1
4. Giles Hussey (GSU) def. Benjamin Wayard (CHAR) 6-2, 6-3
5. Kevin Huynh (GSU) def. Oriol Puig (CHAR) 7-6 (5), 7-6 (3)
6. Bailey Showers (GSU) def. Sam Rice (CHAR) 6-1, 6-4
1. Luca Keist/Benjamin Wayard (CHAR) def. Andrei Andrukhou/Quentin Coulaud (GSU) 6-4
2. Oriol Puig/Alejandro Garcia (CHAR) def. Giles Hussey/Kevin Huynh (GSU) 6-3
3. Sebastian Acuna/Andrei Duarte (GSU) def. Sam Rice/C. Christoforou (CHAR) 7-6 (6)