What you need to know:
* The Panthers earned a 4-0 sweep over Elon Sunday afternoon, with senior Andrei Andrukhou earning his second clinch of the season.
* With the win, GSU improved to 10-9 after a tough loss at rival Georgia Souther Friday.
* The team will close out home play next weekend, hosting UNCW and conference foe Louisiana.
ATLANTA- The Georgia State men’s tennis team swept Elon 4-0 Sunday afternoon in the team’s April opener. Senior Andrei Andrukhou clinched the match, his second of the season.
With the win, the Panthers improved to 10-9 while the Phoenix fell to 12-7.
Georgia State opened the match strong, taking the doubles point in the third set. Bailey Showers and Andrei Duarte defeated Camilo Ponce and Kyle Frankel 6-1, while Elon split doubles with a 6-4 victory over Andrei Andrukhou and Quentin Coulaud. Giles Hussey and Jack MacFarlane clinched the point with a 6-3 win at the No. 2 position.
GSU went up 2-0 early, as Showers defeated Salvador Mijares 6-4, 6-2. Hussey finished near simultaneously, earning a 7-5, 6-3 victory at the No. 3 position. Andrkhou clinched the match at the No. 1 position with a 6-3, 6-4 win.
“It was a great match to bounce back after a tough loss at rival Georgia Southern Friday,” head coach Jonathan Wolff said. “I feel like we jumped out from the start in doubles and we were more assertive than we were Friday because we were feeling out a new doubles lineup. We played the pressure points a lot better, and the guys really stepped up at every position. Elon was a feisty team and they made us earn every point but I couldn’t be happier for the guys, especially for Andrei Andrukhou who played against a great player and got the clinching point. We have a couple of tough matches coming up with Louisiana and UNCW so we have to bring it again next weekend but we are looking forward to it.”
The team will return to the court Friday afternoon in the conference finale, hosting Louisiana at noon at GSU Clarkston.
Follow along with Georgia State on Twitter (@GSUMTennis) for the latest news and updates.
1. Andrei Andrukhou (GSU) def. Felipe Sarrasague (ELON) 6-3, 6-4
2. Quentin Coulaud (GSU) vs. Mario Paccini (ELON) 6-2, 4-4, unfinished
3. Giles Hussey (GSU) def. Kyle Frankel (ELON) 7-5, 6-3
4. Bailey Showers (GSU) def. Salvador Mijares (ELON) 6-4, 6-2
5. Jack MacFarlane (GSU) vs. Camilo Ponce (ELON) 6-4, 2-2, unfinished
6. Andrei Duarte (GSU) vs. Jacob Bicknell (ELON) 0-6, 6-4, 2-0, unfinished
1. Neal Port/Mario Paccini (ELON) def. Andrei Andrukhou/Quentin Coulaud (GSU) 6-4
2. Giles Hussey/Jack MacFarlane (GSU) def. Salvador Mijares/Felipe Sarrasague (ELON) 6-3
3. Bailey Showers/Andrei Duarte (GSU) def. Camilo Ponce/Kyle Frankel (ELON) 6-1