What you need to know:
* GSU defeated USF 4-3 in the third-place match Sunday afternoon
* Andrei Duarte finished the weekend with two clinches
* The Panthers are back in action at 3 p.m. Friday at Louisville
BATON ROUGE, La. – Georgia State men’s tennis ended the weekend on a high note after winning the third-place match in the LSU Jerry Simmons Invitational Sunday afternoon, knocking off South Florida 4-3 as Andrei Duarte secured his second clinch of the weekend.
"What a great contest today in battling past a talented and well-coached team in USF," GSU head coach Jonathan Wolff said. "It was a total team effort as everyone was able to see playing time over the weekend. I knew we didn't play to our full potential the first day, but when challenged, the team competed their tails off today with tremendous energy."
GSU (2-1) fell behind after a back-and-fourth battle in doubles play, with USF edging past the Panthers with a victory at court one 7-6 (7-3) to earn the point. Prior to the court one result, GSU opened with a doubles victory from Bailey Showers and Diego Padilha on court three. The Bulls emerged victorious on court two 6-4.
The Panthers quickly took over in singles play to take a commanding 3-1 lead. Roberts Grinvalds knocked off his opponent 6-2, 6-3 at the No. 2 position, Vazha Shubladze earned a 6-2, 6-2 victory at No. 3 and Showers cruised to a 6-3, 6-4 victory at No. 4.
USF (2-2) wouldn’t go away easy, as Alberto Barroso Campos defeated Giles Hussey on court one 4-6, 6-3, 6-1. Kevin Huynh then fell in three sets to Ivan Yatsuk, putting the match into the hands of Duarte on court five.
Duarte, who clinched the Panthers’ season-opening win over New Orleans on Saturday, dropped the first set 4-6, but bounced back to win the second 6-3 and the tiebreaker 7-5 to give his team its second victory of the season and a third-place finish in the tournament.
"We will look to continue this momentum on the road next Friday in Louisville," Wolff said. "Many thanks to LSU for hosting our team this weekend."
Georgia State is back in action 3 p.m. Friday for a match at Louisville.
GSU 4, USF 3
1. Alberto Barroso Campos (USF) def. Giles Hussey (GSU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
2. Roberts Grinvalds (GSU) def. Chase Ferguson (USF) 6-2, 6-3
3. Vazha Shubladze (GSU) def. Pierre Luquet (USF) 6-2, 6-2
4. Bailey Showers (GSU) def. Jakub Wojcik (USF) 6-3, 6-4
5. Andrei Duarte (GSU) def. Sergio Gomez-Montesa (USF) 4-6, 6-3, 7-5
6. Ivan Yatsuk (USF) def. Kevin Huynh (GSU) 3-6, 7-6 (7-5), 6-3
1. Alberto Barroso Campos/Jakub Wojcik (USF) def. Roberts Grinvalds/Andrei Duarte (GSU) 7-6 (7-3)
2. Chase Ferguson/Pierre Luquet (USF) def. Giles Hussey/Jack MacFarlane (GSU) 6-4
3. Bailey Showers/Diego Padilha (GSU) def. Sean Burnette/Ivan Yatsuk 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,4,3,1,6,5)
Follow along with Georgia State on Twitter (@GSUMTennis) for the latest news and updates.