What you need to know:
* Georgia Tech defeated Georgia State 6-1 Sunday afternoon
* Vazha Shubladze notched his first win over a ranked opponent in singles play
* GSU is back in action next Sunday for a two-match doubleheader against Clemson and Florida A&M
ATLANTA – Georgia State men’s tennis concluded its three-match road stretch Sunday afternoon at the Ken Byers Tennis Complex, falling to cross-town rival Georgia Tech 6-1.
After taking the doubles point in its last two matches, GSU (3-3) saw its streak come to an end on Sunday as Georgia Tech (5-2) secured victories on courts one and three to claim the doubles point. Bailey Showers/Diego Padilha suffered their first loss in doubles play this season, falling 6-1 to Carlos Divar/Phillip Gresk at the No. 1 position.
The Yellow Jackets carried their momentum into singles play, taking the first singles point as No. 81 Andrew Li knocked off Showers 6-2, 7-5. GSU fought back and earned its first point of the day after Vazha Shubladze defeated No. 69 Cole Gromley 4-6, 6-2, 6-3 on court three for his first win over a ranked opponent this season. Shubladze will head into next weekend on a two-match win streak and a 2-1 record at the No. 3 position.
Georgia Tech went on to win matches on courts two and five to clinch the victory. GSU freshman Roberts Grinvalds’ two-match win streak was snapped as he fell to Phillip Gresk 5-7, 6-1, 7-5 on court two. Then on courts one and six the Yellow Jackets grabbed three-set victories to end the match with a 6-1 advantage.
Georgia State is back in action next Sunday as the Panthers host Clemson and Florida A&M for their 2019 spring home opener.
GT 6, GSU 1
1. [No. 38] Carlos Divar (GT) def. Giles Hussey (GSU) 4-6, 6-4, 6-2
2. Phillip Gresk (GT) def. Roberts Grinvalds (GSU) 5-7, 6-1, 7-5
3. Vazha Shubladze (GSU) def. [No. 69] Cole Gromley (GT) 4-6, 6-2, 6-3
4. [No. 81] Andrew Li (GT) def. Bailey Showers (GSU) 6-2, 7-5
5. Chris Yun (GT) def. Andrei Duarte (GSU) 7-6, 7-6
6. Joseph Gandolfo (GT) def. Kevin Huynh (GSU) 4-6, 6-3, 6-4
1. Carlos Divar/Phillip Gresk (GT) def. Bailey Showers/Diego Padilha (GSU) 6-1
2. Roberts Grinvalds/Andrei Duarte (GSU) vs. Andrew Li/Chris Yun (GT) 5-5, unfinished
3. Joseph Gandolfo/Cole Gromley (GT) def. Giles Hussey/Jack MacFarlane (GSU) 6-4
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3); Singles (4,3,2,5,6,1)
Follow along with Georgia State on Twitter (@GSUMTennis) for the latest news and updates.