What you need to know:
* Georgia State fell to No. 45 USF 4-3 Monday afternoon
* GSU has clinched the doubles point in six of its last seven matches
* The Panthers are back in action 5 p.m. Wednesday for a match at Florida Gulf Coast
TAMPA, Fla. – Georgia State men’s tennis returned to the courts for the first time in over a week after an extended break in the schedule, falling to No. 45 South Florida 4-3 Monday afternoon at the USF Varsity Tennis Courts.
The Panthers (7-8) put up a strong fight against USF (11-5) but fell just shy of earning their first win over an opponent ranked inside the ITA National Top 50 this season. GSU clinched its sixth doubles point in its last seven matches as Giles Hussey and Jack MacFarlane and Bailey Showers and Quentin Coulaud picked up wins to give the blue and white a 1-0 advantage heading to singles play.
Hussey and MacFarlane earned their first victory over a ranked doubles duo this season and improved to 3-1 at the No. 1 position. Showers and Coulaud made their season debut as doubles partners and collected a 7-5 win at the No. 3 spot.
In singles play, Showers continued to stay hot as he notched his first win of the year at the No. 3 position and put GSU ahead 2-0 with a 6-2, 6-1 win. The Bulls went on to even the score a two apiece after taking the points on courts four and two, but sophomore Andrei Duarte moved Georgia State one point away from the clinch after locking up a three-set win on court five.
USF rallied back with a close victory on court one and clinched the match with another three-set victory on court six to give the Bulls the win. In its three matches against ranked opponents in 2019, Georgia State has lost by a combined five points.
The Panthers are back in action 5 p.m. Wednesday for a match against Florida Gulf Coast at the FGCU Tennis Complex.
No. 45 USF 4, GSU 3
1. [No. 29] Alberto Barroso-Campos (USF) def. Giles Hussey (GSU) 4-6, 6-2, 6-2
2. Chase Ferguson (USF) def. Vazha Shubladze (GSU) 7-5, 6-4
3. Bailey Showers (GSU) def. Jakub Wojcik (USF) 6-2, 6-1
4. Pierre Luquet (USF) def. Quentin Coulaud (GSU) 6-0, 6-4
5. Andrei Duarte (GSU) def. Ivan Yatsuk (USF) 3-6, 6-3, 6-3
6. Sergio Gomez-Montesa (USF) def. Kevin Huynh (GSU) 6-4, 5-7, 6-3
1. Giles Hussey/Jack MacFarlane (GSU) def. [No. 77] Alberto Barroso-Campos/Pierre Luquet (USF) 6-3
2. Jakub Wojcik/Ivan Yatsuk (USF) def. Andrei Duarte/Roberts Grinvalds (GSU) 7-6 (7-1)
3. Bailey Showers/Quentin Coulaud (GSU) def. Chase Ferguson/Sergio Gomez-Montesa (USF) 7-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (3,4,2,5,1,6)
Follow along with Georgia State on Twitter (@GSUMTennis) for the latest news and updates.