What you need to know:
* Georgia State won its conference opener 4-3 over UT Arlington Friday night
* Vazha Shubladze earned his second clinch of the year
* GSU next heads to Lafayette, La., to take on Louisiana 10:30 a.m. Sunday at the Cajun Courts
ARLINGTON, Texas – Georgia State men’s tennis began its 2019 Sun Belt Conference slate with a gutsy road win over UT Arlington Friday night, defeating the Mavericks 4-3 at the UTA Tennis Center.
The victory boosted GSU to 9-8 overall, handing the Panthers back-to-back wins. It’s the second straight year under head coach Jonathan Wolff the blue and white have won their conference opener.
Georgia State again stayed sharp in doubles play, as the Panthers clinched the doubles point for the fourth consecutive contest with wins on courts two and three. Bailey Showers and Quentin Coulaud earned a 7-5 victory on court two followed by a 7-5 win on court three from Andrei Duarte and Kevin Huynh, who saved fived match points before improving to 2-0 in doubles play this year.
In singles, Duarte, Coulaud and Vazha Shubladze all collected victories to hand GSU back-to-back wins. Duarte took a three-set victory one court five to build his win-streak to four. Coulaud, a junior from Saint-Brieuc, France, won in straight sets on court four before Shubladze capped the night for the Panthers with a three-set win on court two.
It was Shubladze’s second win at the No. 2 position this season, including his second win in a row. The freshman joins teammate Giles Hussey with two clinches on the year, two behind team-leader Duarte with four.
GSU is back in action 10:30 a.m. Sunday for a match against Louisiana at the Cajun Courts in Lafayette, La. Fans can keep up with Sunday’s match via live stats.
GSU 4, UTA 3
1. Enrique Pardo (UTA) def. Giles Hussey (GSU) 6-4, 7-5
2. Vazha Shubladze (GSU) def. Guanarteme Nuez (UTA) 5-7, 7-6 (0), 7-6 (4)
3. Mauricio Rio (UTA) def. Bailey Showers (GSU) 6-4, 6-7, 6-4
4. Quentin Coulaud (GSU) def. Alejandro Hayen (UTA) 6-4, 6-3
5. Andrei Duarte (GSU) def. Miguel Cabrera (UTA) 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
6. Eduard Simo (UTA) def. Diego Padilha (GSU) 1-6, 7-6 (0), 6-4
1. Mauricio Rio/Guanarteme Nuez (UTA) def. Giles Hussey/Jack MacFarlane (GSU) 6-3
2. Bailey Showers/Quentin Coulaud (GSU) def. Enrique Pardo/Eduard Simo (UTA) 7-5
3. Andrei Duarte/Kevin Huynh (GSU) def. Alejandro Hayen/Miguel Cabrera (UTA) 7-5
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles
Follow along with Georgia State on Twitter (@GSUMTennis) for the latest news and updates.