What you need to know:
* GSU defeated Troy 4-1 to win its fourth match in a row
* Andrei Duarte won his sixth consecutive singles match
* The Panthers are back in action 12 p.m. Sunday against South Alabama
TROY, Ala. – Georgia State men’s tennis secured the doubles point for the sixth consecutive match on its way to a 4-1 victory over Troy Saturday afternoon at the Lunsford Tennis Complex, giving the Panthers their fourth win in a row and a 3-0 start to conference play.
The win improved GSU to 11-8 overall and 3-0 in the league. Head coach Jonathan Wolff’s team is one-win shy of tying the program’s best start to conference play (4-0) since the team joined the Sun Belt in 2013. It was also the second time in the last three season’s Georgia State has won four straight road contests.
The Panthers started off Saturday the same way it had its previous five contests, by dominating doubles play and taking a 1-0 lead to singles. Giles Hussey and Jack MacFarlane picked up their sixth win of the year at the No. 1 position, defeating their opponents 6-4. Then at the No. 3 spot, Quentin Coulaud and Bailey Showers won 6-4 and are a perfect 4-0 when paired with each other this dual season.
In singles, Roberts Grinvalds earned his third victory at the No. 1 position with a 6-4, 6-2 triumph over Oskar Michalek. Coulaud rolled 6-2, 6-2 on court four and Duarte followed with a win in straight sets on court six. It was Duarte’s fifth clinch of the year and sixth straight singles win.
Georgia State will look to build on its win-streak as the Panthers take on South Alabama 12 p.m. Sunday at the Bruce David Lubel Memorial Tennis Courts in Mobile, Ala.
GSU 4, TROY 1
1. Roberts Grinvalds (GSU) def. Oskar Michalek (TROY) 6-4, 6-2
2. Pelayo Antuna (TROY) def. Vazha Shubladze (GSU) 6-6, retired
3. Giles Hussey (GSU) vs. Manuel Bernard (TROY) 6-2, 4-2, unfinished
4. Quentin Coulaud (GSU) def. Jiaqi Duan (TROY) 6-2, 6-2
5. Bailey Showers (GSU) vs. Christopher Tasker (TROY) 5-7, 5-3, unfinished
6. Andrei Duarte (GSU) vs. Antonio Selma (TROY) 6-4, 6-2
1. Giles Hussey/Jack MacFarlane (GSU) def. Pelayo Antuna/Jiaqi Duan (TROY) 6-4
2. Oskar Michalek/Andy Romero (TROY) def. Andrei Duarte/Roberts Grinvlads (GSU) 6-2
3. Quentin Coulaud/Bailey Showers (GSU) def. Christopher Tasker/Jorge Poyatos (TROY) 6-4
Follow along with Georgia State on Twitter (@GSUMTennis) for the latest news and updates.