What you need to know:
* Coastal Carolina snapped Georgia State’s five-match win streak with a 4-0 victory Saturday morning
* The Panthers dropped the doubles point for the first time since March 9
* GSU is back in action 10 a.m. Sunday against Appalachian State at the GSU Clarkston Courts
ATLANTA – Georgia State men’s tennis saw its five-match win streak come to an end Saturday morning as the Panthers dropped a 4-0 decision to Coastal Carolina at the GSU Clarkston Courts.
GSU suffered its first conference loss of the season and now holds a 12-9 overall record and 4-1 mark in the Sun Belt, dropping into a tie for first place with South Alabama in the league standings. GSU was one win away from starting 5-0 in conference play for the first time since 2007.
While the Panthers’ five-match win streak came to an end on Saturday, so did its doubles streak, which stretched all the way back to March 9. Andrei Duarte and Roberts Grinvalds cruised to a 6-2 victory on court three, but Coastal Carolina battled to take the wins on courts one and two to prevent GSU from clinching the doubles point for the first time in its last eight matches.
Duarte and Grinvalds improved to a perfect 4-0 at the No. 3 doubles position despite Georgia State relinquishing the doubles point.
The Chanticleers carried that momentum into singles play, winning at the No. 1 and 5 positions in straight sets. GSU fought to cut into the Coastal Carolina lead but was unable to secure a point as CCU clinched the match with a 7-6 (7-4), 6-3 victory on court six.
Georgia State is back in action 10 a.m. Sunday against Appalachian State at the GSU Clarkston Courts. Fans can follow the match via live stats.
CCU 4, GSU 0
1. Luiz Faria (CCU) def. Roberts Grinvalds (GSU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Giles Hussey (GSU) v. Zak Talic (CCU) 6-7 (4-7), 4-3, unfinished
3. Quentin Coulaud (GSU) v. Joel Popov (CCU) 6-4, 3-6, unfinished
4. Bailey Showers (GSU) v. Pyry Hyrkkonen (CCU) 7-6 (7-5), 3-2, unfinished
5. Gonzalo Achondo (CCU) def. Andrei Duarte (GSU) 6-1, 6-3
6. Daiki Tanabe (CCU) def. Kevin Huynh (GSU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-3
1. Lawrence Perrin/Luiz Faria (CCU) def. Giles Hussey/Jack MacFarlane (GSU) 6-3
2. Zak Talic/Joel Popov (CCU) def. Quentin Coulaud/Bailey Showers (GSU) 6-4
3. Andrei Duarte/Roberts Grinvalds (GSU) def. Gonzalo Achondo/Daiki Tanabe (CCU) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (5,1,6)
Follow along with Georgia State on Twitter (@GSUMTennis) for the latest news and updates.