What you need to know:
* Georgia State defeated Appalachian State 4-0 Sunday afternoon
* Diego Padilha and Steven Huynh each earned their first singles wins of the dual season
* GSU concludes conference play with a match against rival Georgia Southern next Saturday
ATLANTA – Georgia State men’s tennis rebounded from Saturday’s streak-snapping loss to Coastal Carolina with a 4-0 sweep over Appalachian State Sunday afternoon at the GSU Clarkston Courts.
The win bumped GSU to 13-9 overall and 5-1 in the Sun Belt. With just one conference match remaining, the Panthers sit in first place in the league standings, a half-game ahead of South Alabama who is 4-1 in Sun Belt play.
Georgia State clinched the doubles point for the 15th time this season, opening the afternoon with a 6-0 shutout on court two from Andrei Duarte and Roberts Grinvalds. It was the pair’s second win in a row and their sixth at the No. 2 position this year.
In their season debut as doubles partners, Kevin Huynh and Diego Padilha followed with a 6-3 win on court three to lock up the doubles point for the Panthers. Both Huynh and Padilha are up to five overall doubles victories this dual season.
Giles Hussey got things started in singles play, collecting a 6-1, 6-1 win on court two for his second consecutive win. Making his first appearance in the dual season, Steven Huynh then stepped up and earned a win in straight sets on court six to give GSU a commanding 3-0 lead.
Diego Padilha finished things off by recording his first clinch of the season to wrap up Georgia State’s fourth sweep of the year. He defeated his opponent 7-5, 6-3 on court five for his first singles win of the dual season and became the sixth different Panther to record a clinch this year.
GSU will play its final conference match of the regular season against rival Georgia Southern next Saturday at the Wallis Tennis Center in Statesboro, Ga.
GSU 4, APP 0
1. Roberts Grinvalds (GSU) v. Milo Bargeron (APP) 3-5, unfinished
2. Giles Hussey (GSU) def. Alex Pavkovich (APP) 6-1, 6-1
3. Kevin Huynh (GSU) v. Zion Heaven (APP) 3-2, unfinished
4. Jack MacFarlane (GSU) v. Ben Webster (APP) unfinished
5. Diego Padilha (GSU) def. Afonso Viana (APP) 7-5, 6-3
6. Steven Huynh (GSU) def. Campbell Stone (APP) 6-3, 6-0
1. Giles Hussey/Jack MacFarlane (GSU) v. Milo Bargeron/Alex Pavkovich (APP) 1-5, unfinished
2. Andrei Duarte/Roberts Grinvalds (GSU) def. Zion Heaven/Ben Webster (APP) 6-0
3. Kevin Huynh/Diego Padilha (GSU) def. Alex Brea/Campbell Stone (APP) 6-3
Order of Finish: Doubles (2,3); Singles (2,6,5)
Follow along with Georgia State on Twitter (@GSUMTennis) for the latest news and updates.