What you need to know:
* No. 1 Georgia State swept No. 8 Appalachian State 4-0 on Friday to advance to the SBC Tournament Semifinals
* The Panthers improved to 5-0 in the first round of the SBC Tournament
* GSU will face UT Arlington/Louisiana 3 p.m. Saturday in the Semifinals at the Peachtree City Tennis Center
PEACHTREE CITY, Ga. – Top-seeded Georgia State men’s tennis collected its fifth shutout of the season and punched its ticket to the Sun Belt Conference Tournament Semifinals after rolling past No. 8 Appalachian State 4-0 in Friday’s opening round at the Peachtree City Tennis Center.
The win was GSU’s fourth in a row and moved the Panthers to 16-9 overall, while Appalachian State ended its season with a 5-20 mark. Georgia State also improved to 5-0 in opening round matches and earned its 10th all-time win in the SBC Tournament.
Appalachian State made GSU fight for the doubles point on Friday, as the fate of the point came down to court two after Quentin Coulaud/Bailey Showers cruised to a 6-2 win on court three and Giles Hussey/Jack MacFarlane fell 6-4 on court one.
Andrei Duarte and Roberts Grinvalds worked their way to a 7-6 (7-3) win on court two secure their fourth straight doubles victory and hand Georgia State the doubles point for the 18th time in 24 matches. GSU is 14-4 overall and 7-0 against league opponents when it clinches the doubles point.
The blue and white carried that momentum into singles play, as the Panthers cruised to straight-set victories at positions one, two and three to earn the sweep. Hussey picked up his 10th singles win of the dual season and gave GSU a 2-0 lead on court one, then Coulaud locked up a 6-3, 6-3 win on court three to put the Panthers one away from the clinch.
Grinvalds followed with his sixth win of the dual season at the No. 2 position, defeating his opponent 6-2, 6-3 to move Georgia State into the Semifinals. The Bigaunciems, Latvia, native became the seventh different Panther to secure a clinch this year.
GSU advances to the semifinal round where it will take on UT Arlington/Louisiana 3 p.m. Saturday at the Peachtree City Tennis Center. Semifinal and championship matches are set for live coverage on ESPN+, available online and via the WatchESPN app. Live results are available at SunBeltSports.org.
(#1) GSU 4, (#8) APP 0
1. Giles Hussey (GSU) def. Milo Bargeron (APP) 6-2, 6-1
2. Roberts Grinvalds (GSU) def. Zion Heaven (APP) 6-2, 6-3
3. Quentin Coulaud (GSU) def. Alex Pavkovich (APP) 6-3, 6-3
4. Bailey Showers (GSU) v. Ben Webster (APP) 1-0, unfinished
5. Andrei Duarte (GSU) v. Alfonso Vaz Viana (APP) unfinished
6. Kevin Huynh (GSU) v. Campbell Stone (APP) unfinished
1. Milo Bargeron/Zion Heaven (APP) def. Giles Hussey/Jack MacFarlane (GSU) 6-4
2. Andrei Duarte/Roberts Grinvalds (GSU) def. Alex Pavkovich/Ben Webster (APP) 7-6 (7-3)
3. Quentin Coulaud/Bailey Showers (GSU) def. Alex Brea/Campbell Stone (APP) 6-2
Order of finish: Doubles (3,1,2); Singles (1,3,2)
Follow along with Georgia State on Twitter (@GSUMTennis) for the latest news and updates.